The Crooked Cake Instructions!! Please Look!!!

Decorating By Sarsi Updated 11 May 2008 , 3:07am by Sarsi

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 10:41am
post #31 of 73

Thanks Sarah for offering to e-mail every one. Although I couldn't see it on my e-mail I was able to print this post out fine. Your method looks much easier and less stressful.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:15am
post #32 of 73

Well, I have to be honest, when I first read about this technique, I was excited because it seems so much easier, but I was a little skeptical about not building the cakes into each other for support. It just seemed a little too risky for me. I had plans to meet some friends out of town this weekend, so I did an experiment.....I made a cake exactly as specified & then put it in the back of my car as I would when I deliver any other cake. Then, I proceeded to go out of town for the weekend to meet my girlfriends. I drove 130 miles with that cake in the back of my car, not being any more careful than I would be with any other cake. Actually, I was a little more careless just to see if the cake would survive! Part of my drive was through a curvy mountain road & then I carried the cake through a EXTREMELY crowded bar (twice) before finally making it to our reserved table. The cake was still standing and hadn't moved an inch! I don't know how that piping gel works, but it sure does hold on like glue, I was very impressed! So for anybody who's wondering....YES, it really works!!!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:20am
post #33 of 73

Still wondering... would RI work better than piping gel, or is there some majic in the piping gel?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:28am
post #34 of 73

AZCakeGirl, what an excellent test! Thanks for sharing your results with us! I feel so good about this! I also have some ideas to work in for added stability!

Don't know if RI would be a benefit or not. I'd be afraid that after it dried you'd run the risk of it cracking and then providing NO support.

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:38am
post #35 of 73

Awesome thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
Thanks

AZCakeGirl Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:29am
post #36 of 73

You're very welcome!

Melvira - I would love to have you share your ideas with me if you figure anything out for added stability! (You can never be too safe ya know!)

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:09am
post #37 of 73

Just curious, has anyone used the Whimsical cake pans??? I wondered how they could bake evenly & how long it would take? Looks like they may be harder to get out of the pan too. I'm thinking they would be too hard to fool with. Anyone know???

Melvira Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:36pm
post #38 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCakeGirl

You're very welcome!

Melvira - I would love to have you share your ideas with me if you figure anything out for added stability! (You can never be too safe ya know!)

Well, what I was thinking was simply with regard to dowels. I considered, and I am not saying this is a good idea, it's just something that I may try, putting the upper tiers on separator plates and using the hidden pillars in the lower tiers so that the feet of the plates have a place to nest right in there. See, this is my bad, but I never do the center dowel thing. (You would not be able to do that if you tried it this way.) I don't know why, but it always seemed like a lot of work to me to sharpen a stick and try to drive it down through all the layers of cardboard, etc. I am quite sure I would destroy the cake in that process! I am sure eventually I will find a style of cake to do that absolultely requires it!! At that point I'll do my best! icon_wink.gif

AZCakeGirl Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:31pm
post #39 of 73

Wow, I'd be scared not to do a center dowel, you're a brave woman! I do get nervous sometimes when I'm driving them in though so I know what you mean. icon_smile.gif

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:04pm
post #40 of 73

Thanks for posting your results, AZCakeGirl!! I'm so happy it worked out for you!!! Thanks for the help in reassuring all the uncertain!! I also was a skeptic, but thought "why not try!!" and was so happy with the results!!!

I'm posting in here to also try'n get this post to the top, I've been getting a lot more emails asking for the instructins.....so they're on page 1....

Melvira Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:48pm
post #41 of 73

Ok, I'm quite certain I am jinxing myself right now, but I've NEVER done a center dowel, and NEVER had a cake fall over. But... when I do anything taller than a 2 tier cake I don't deliver it assembled. I stack it on site and apply the border. Maybe that's why I've never needed a center dowel. I'm sure if I were doing a topsy turvy that was more than 2 tiers I'd have to center dowel it because you really don't want to complete those on site. But I'm guessing I'd be cutting a sufficient hole in the cake boards. My eyes just pop out of my head when I hear people talking about 'pounding' a center dowel through the cake boards. Sharpened or not, that's a lot of stress on the cake, isn't it? I like how I've seen them do it on AOC... the dowel is there and they are slipping the tiers onto the dowel instead of vice versa. I think maybe that's the route I'd try to go.

Sarsi Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:51pm
post #42 of 73

Hmmm...I've never had a problem hammering a dowel through the cake. I've even done it through a cake that was 4 tiers high!! every other tier was styrofoam even, so that's harder to hammer through....

Sarsi Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:50pm
post #43 of 73

Hmmm...I've never had a problem hammering a dowel through the cake. I've even done it through a cake that was 4 tiers high!! every other tier was styrofoam even, so that's harder to hammer through....

Sarsi Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:56pm
post #44 of 73

HA!! Melvira!! I just looked at page 2...saw your cake!!! THAT IS TOO CUTE!! I love the pregnant super woman!! HAHAHA!!! Good job!!! icon_smile.gif

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:25pm
post #45 of 73

Thanks Sardi for sharing the intructions.I can't wait to try ithis myself.By the way ladies all your cakes look awesome thumbs_up.gif

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:28pm
post #46 of 73

Thanks for the instructions, I can wait to try it!

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:31pm
post #47 of 73

I really need to try this - I've been cowardly about doing it so far - just seems like so much work! I am going to give this a try very soon!

Carson Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:38pm
post #48 of 73

Ok, so I don't have "placenta brain" like Melvira - but I have a question...Are the dowels cut to the same length (like you would in a regular stacked cake) - or are they different heights according to the slant of the cake? Does this make sense? That is the one thing I don't understand...

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:40pm
post #49 of 73

Carson im glad you asked becuase i have the same question.

Also, If you do it three tiers do you still transport it completed?

Sarsi Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:57pm
post #50 of 73

Yes, cut the dowels to go along with the slant of the cake. ....

I've transported a three tier about 30 minutes away without a problem. I sent a 4 tier that was everyother tier styrfoam with someone and never heard that it fell over or anything icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:10pm
post #51 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson

Ok, so I don't have "placenta brain" like Melvira...

Duuuuuude... that is so wrong... I've become the butt of the joke. Waaahhhh!! icon_cry.gif

Sarsi Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:14pm
post #52 of 73

AWWEEE!! MELVIRA!!! ITS OKAY!!! We all love you!!! We do...how can we not?!?!? Just look at you in the cupcake forum!! LOL!!! I almost joined you!! icon_smile.gif HEY! I just saw in the grocery store, an advertisement for bread, and they had a lady on it...with a FULL mouth. I thought of you RIGHT away!! icon_smile.gif LOL!!! You're so cute!! icon_smile.gif HUGS!!!

Melvira Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:19pm
post #53 of 73

Hehehehe... let's not point out my temporary insanity to too many more people. icon_redface.gif Bless you, I was just in one of those moods, and someone made the mistake of saying, "I dare you". I don't take those words lightly in most cases! Hehehe.

cakeflake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:47pm
post #54 of 73

I have a quick question. So do you put the piping gel in a small circular area on top of the cake and then stick the dowel through the center of that? or would you poke the dowel into the cake and then put the piping gel down around the dowel? I guess what I'm asking is does the dowel have to thru the piping gel? I've done this before but never used the piping gel. Does it make that much of a difference? Thanks, everyone you're all awesome.

Sarsi Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:58pm
post #55 of 73

I guess I don't really understand what you're saying....

You have your cakes covered in fondant... on the bottom tier, right on top of the fondant, spread a little piping gel, then place the next tier on top... then poke the sharpened dowel all the way through both tiers.

Melvira Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:04pm
post #56 of 73

Cakeflake... I think I understand the question... what you should do is put your dowels down into the cake, (evenly spaced) then put just a dab of piping gel (or whatever you're using) around them as glue, then place the next tier on top of that. Then, if you're doing a center dowel, you would drive that down last. Hope that's what you were getting at!

Carson Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:16pm
post #57 of 73

Don't worry Melvira - I still wish I could claim placenta brain and my baby is 18 months old!!! I would never of mentioned it if you didn't point it out earlier - trust me - your question was not that silly! All in good fun! LOL!

Melvira Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:26pm
post #58 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson

Don't worry Melvira - I still wish I could claim placenta brain and my baby is 18 months old!!! I would never of mentioned it if you didn't point it out earlier - trust me - your question was not that silly! All in good fun! LOL!

Oh yes, I know, but I have to give you some grief!! Hey, at least I can use placenta brain as an excuse right now!! icon_wink.gif Then for a while it will be 'lack of sleep'. Hmmm... what else? Oh yes... then it's "I have two toddlers". icon_wink.gif

Omigosh... I'm going to have two toddlers. icon_eek.gif I am so excited!!

Carson Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:42pm
post #59 of 73

Well - I just recently went back to work (after a year off) at a new job and am having a heck of time getting my brains back! LOL!

Thanks Sarsi - I am going to give it a try very soon!

cakeflake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake Posted 3 May 2008 , 5:42am
post #60 of 73

Thanks melvira and sarsi. I guess what I wanted to know was if the piping gel was to hold the cake layers to each other or to keep the dowels in place. You'd think I'd be better at asking a clear question- I know I ask enough of them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%