Red Velvet Food Color Question

Decorating By EmilyGrace Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 12:14am by peanut123

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:05am
post #1 of 8

In the red velvet cake recipes i've seen it calls for 1 or 2 oz of red food coloring... is this the liquid food coloring or the gel/paste kind?
Thanks!

7 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:27am
post #2 of 8

It's the liquid you get in the grocery store. I only use 1 bottle.

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:30am
post #3 of 8

Thank you!!

peanut123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut123 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:37am
post #4 of 8

Yes, as stated above it is the liquid food coloring you find in the grocery store.

The amount of liquid food coloring you add depends upon how âredâ you want the cake and how much cocoa powder you add. The most that I have seen used is 2 ounces of red food coloring.

Most red velvet cake recipes call for about 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, but some call for up to half a cup. The more cocoa powder you use, the more red food coloring youâll need to over-ride the brown.

gucci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gucci Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:49am
post #5 of 8

Yes, as said before, it is liquid kind from the grocery store. Usually you'll find it near spices, extracts, etc. McCormick is good, but I've also used generic brands and been just as happy with the color.

allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 11:20am
post #6 of 8

For a true red velvet color, you should use 2 oz. of the liquid red food coloring. I have tried the gel and it just isn't the same results.

heidinamba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidinamba Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 8

I make red velvet cakes often and I've wondered if I can get the same results with my gel colors as I can with the grocery store liquid kind. I always purchase the 1 oz bottle at the store but I have so many Americolor colors and I want to know why can't I use them? Or can I and how much would I add? I'm not good at just eyeing it because the batter looks different than the fully baked cake. Suggestions?

peanut123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut123 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:14am
post #8 of 8

Heidinamba, you can use Americolor. Mix it with the cocoa before adding it to the batter. If not, you could wind-up with a two color cake.

The amount to add depends upon how âredâ you want it. Everyone has their own taste.

I have a neighbor that uses beets to get the red color. Her cakes look great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%