Cake Insurance

Decorating By WendyLaLa Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 5:48pm by acookieobsession

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 9

I was watching Rich Bride/ Poor Bride this week-end which is filmed in Canada. The wedding planner and cake decorator were bringing the cake into the venue already set up and they dropped it. They called the bakery told them they had cake insurance and had an exact duplicate delivered with in the hour. Has anyone ever heard of this? Does anyone practice this. What do you charge for this? I'm just curious.
Thanks
LaLa

8 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:35am
post #2 of 9

I don't have an answer for you but you might get more response if you posted the question in the cake business forum.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:14am
post #3 of 9

someone posted about this episode previously and as I recall, the general concensus was that it looked like a set-up and they cited how no one was "that" upset when it happened, and how none of us had ever heard of buying cake insurance in case the cake was dropped and how the baker just "happened" to have an exact duplicate of an "insured" cake in about an hour???? icon_confused.gif

I didnt' see the episode but that's what I recall from the thread.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:47am
post #4 of 9

Yeah- I was the one that posted the original. Most did agree with my hubby and I that is was all a set up for "good TV drama". icon_confused.gif

Cake insurance? Bah. Humbug.

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:57am
post #5 of 9

The only thing i have ever heard of and had was wedding insurance when i got married. It covers everything from venue to cakes to flowers, if anything happened to the flowers or cake or cars etc we could claim any money back that had been paid for the service after the wedding (no replacement though). I have never heard of just cake insurance or a replacement cake at such short notice.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:02pm
post #6 of 9

I've never heard of cake insurance - but how did they knock out an exact replica in one hour!!??

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 9

I am wondering if possibly the cake insurance by that baker was a dummy cake in the exact design which could have been made in advance in case of accident to the original. I do not know because I have never heard of it either and I have never seen the episode.

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:19am
post #8 of 9

Hey thanks for the input. I haven't been on in while. Wedding season has started at work and I am just to pooped at the end of the day to log on. See I thought it was a set up or something. There is just no way you can do that. It makes no sense. Thanks everyone for the comments. Now I don't feel like a big dummy!!!!

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 9

I have cake insurance, it is called SPS! I actually do tell the brides that is their insurance that the cake won't fall over. this is part of my explanation of why they have to pay me a refundable deposit for it!

Julia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%