How Long Does Gumpaste Last?

Decorating By Mickeebabe Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 2:49am by TexasSugar

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 5

I'm doing the fondant/gumpaste class at Michael's and I have to make some gumpaste. I am making it using the directions on the gum tex container.

My question is, how long will the gumpaste last once I mix it? I have never used gumpaste, made it before or even handled it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kimberly icon_smile.gif

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 5

Does your store not carry the premade fondant? Personally I would use it over making it. If you make it it should be okay for the class as long as you keep it wrapped tightly and in an airtight container.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 5

i teach the wilton fondant/gumpaste class. i just tell the students to bring the premade gumpaste to class. it works great. i store my fondant and gumpaste in the freezer for a long time. i wrap it in small pieces after i knead it really good in glad wrap. and then in freezer bags. i do fondant the same way. when i need to use it , i get it out and let it come to room temp. and knead again and make what i need to make. in the third couse, it tells you to mix 1 tsp. gumtex with 12 oz. of fondant to make gumpaste. i now just have the students to bring in the pre-made gumpaste from wilton to class. also , nicholas lodge has a great recipe on his site. check that out. it is easy to make , and easy to use.hth

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:33am
post #4 of 5

Thank you.

My instructor told us to make it. She took us down the cake decorating isle at Michael's and showed us what to buy and said the directions were on the side of the can. We had to buy the gum tex and the glucose (I think.) and of course add that to the powered sugar and add water. So far it was easy to make.

I will be using some for my class tomorrow night. I think I will have to try the suggestion of using some and freezing the rest in small pieces.

Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:49am
post #5 of 5

That is weird. I, too, am a WMI and we have always used the premade gumpaste in the class. The book even tells you to use the premade gumpaste. I wonder why she thinks ya'll have to make it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%