My Idea... Can It Be Done?

Decorating By Melan Updated 16 Apr 2008 , 11:31am by Molly2

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 9

Ok, so let me give you a little info before I tell you my idea. My husband and I inherited a HUGE train collection that was his grandfathers. We have the really tiny sets all the way up to the very large garden size trains. So.... I am working on doing an inventory of them, we are going to sell the majority of them on ebay so that we can put the money into our son's savings accounts. We are going to keep the ones that are special to us though, and keep some for the boys to have when they are older. So, cake is usually on my mind but here lately it's been trains of course! I was wondering... can I combine the two?! I dont' want to make a train shaped, I want to make a cake with a train running through it -like through a tunnel! Do you think that would be possible? I could use the smallest scale train set, which is pretty small and actually fix it so that it wouldn't touch cake at all of course. Hmm... my gears are turning... What do you think? I could make a cake "mountain" with the track running through...

8 replies
YummyFireMummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyFireMummy Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 9

Sounds good...but I don't know how you would do it...hmmm interesting

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:15am
post #3 of 9

Hey, anything is possible! Just ask Duff! icon_lol.gif

I would create a tunnel from plastic...maybe cut down an empty icing bucket icon_wink.gif ... or use metal, but wrap with plastic wrap or something to keep it from touching the cake. Then just build your cake mountain around the tunnel and carve away! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Go for it!

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:37am
post #4 of 9

That is where I was going in the thought process... I think it can be done... I'll keep thinking though!

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 9

It can totally be done! I'm sure of it. What I would do is a stacked cake that looks like a mountain. I would get a pvc pipe or something similar (tube) and put it in the middle layer and make tracks going around the mountains edge and in the cake. I would just suggest supporting the cake above the tunnel so it doesn't collapse. Put straws, etc, etc. Good luck. What a neat idea.

EagerBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EagerBaker Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 5:01am
post #6 of 9

What about those paper thin, flexible cutting boards? You can get a two pack of them from Walmart for about $3. You could cut it the length that you would need it and bow it up to make a tunnel. Plus, they are clear so you wouldn't even need to disguise it. Bake your first couple of layers, cut them and place them on each side of the bowed board to hold it in place, and then just build it up around it. Once you get up a couple layers you might want to run a couple dowels on each side to make sure that the board stays in place. Its just an idea.

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 5:12am
post #7 of 9

I can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm excited about it.

Now you have me thinking. I think it would be awesome to put a remote controlled car inside a cake for a little boy's birthday. You know have a dummy bottom layer that has a garage area carved out. Cover the opening with a thin layer of tissue paper and ice it. Then the parents can drive the car through the opening....

AnnieM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieM Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:15am
post #8 of 9

Those are all good ideas - it definitely can be done! My first instinct would be large PVC pipe, or if you want it to be edible - mold rice krispie treats into a tunnel shape. That will be a fun cake to do!

Annie

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:31am
post #9 of 9

I don't know if this would help but a while back I made a cake with a horse the pounced around on top of the cake for my nephew (look in my Pics) I used plexie glass on top of cake so the horse could move my nephew loved it it would just galup around and around on the cake the glass kept it level

Molly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%