Your Favorite Tools

Decorating By kayla1505 Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 10:15pm by wgoat5

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 21

Ok its my birthday and graduation next week. I'm graduating from culinary school and I'm doing my externship at a wedding cake place!YAY! icon_biggrin.gif

anyway my parents are gonna buy me more cake decorating tools. I already have the basics but I wanna know what everyone esles favorite tools are so I can tell them what to buy me.

I know theres a thread out there on what not to buy. so let me know whats good icon_wink.gif

20 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 21

Ok here's what I use

Ateco fondant mat
cutters/veiners (if you are doing gp flowers or fondant)
ribbon cutters
I don't have one of these but if you are wanting to get a cake leveler get a AGBAY icon_smile.gif
Magic line pans icon_smile.gif

oh I'll think of more icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 21

You cannot have too many flower cutters or patchwork cutters.
Molds - flowers & lace.
It sure depends on what is your favorite type of decorating.....fondant covered? Lots of flowers? Lacy, romantic cakes or more modern lines?
I never used the ribbon cutters I had.

wgoat5 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 21

Kakeladi I have the ones with the wooden handles and the metal cutters and spacers I LOVE mine icon_smile.gif

kayla1505 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 21

I am looking for more fondant and gumpaste tools, so I can pratice. Do you guys have any links i dont even know what patchwork cutters are. I'm just really getting into the fondant and gumpaste world so to speak so i dont know whats good or not.

wgoat5 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 21

www.globalsugararts.com has a wide variety icon_smile.gif

www.intotheoven.com

www.cakesbysam.com

www.beryls.com

www.countrykitchensa.com

www.icingonthecake.com

OHHH yes and you need luster dusts, pearl dusts, pixie dust and petal dusts (for flowers)

This is a wonderful site for those...

www.europeancakegallery.com

icon_smile.gif

kayla1505 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 21

I go to those sites and I'm like "aahhh I don't know what to pick. Soo many chocies." So far on my hopeful list I have

Americolor gel paste
Luster dust
Airbrush compressor
And a cobble stone impression mat

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 21

My new love are impression rollers for fondant! The hugest variety Iâve found is on the site with a trademark dispute with CC, so letâs see if it would let me post the link (without the spaces):
http://www. S u g a r c r a f t .com/catalog/gumpaste/FMM/rollingpins.htm

wgoat5 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:12pm
post #9 of 21

Oh I love my impression rollers/mats also... I forgot those...

I have some from www.earlenescakes.com

and from GSA's ....

Ohhhh and make sure you get really good tools... to make your flowers with... don't get the green wilton things because they really don't work as well!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:23pm
post #10 of 21

I have a silpin rolling pin that's wonderful. Nothing sticks to it. I was just going to use it for fondant, but it turns out that it's great for tortillas and pie crust too.

The Wilton flower cutters are the only ones I have, but the more I use Wilton stuff, the less impressed I am with it, except for their pearl dust, which I love to use.

I bought a Makins clay gun today to use with fondant, and it's neat. I didn't play with it much yet, but it's easy to use and I can see lots of uses for it (which I will try next week when we're done moving).
It will make a long thin strand of fondant, if you're wondering what it does. It also makes a flat one for basketweave, and thin ones that I'm going to use to make hair for fondant figures.

I also found something good for storing my cake tools. I have that Wilton toolbox, but I filled it up years ago, so I was looking for something different. I found stacking, clear plastic organizers for $2 each at Big Lots. They look like the tray that lifts out of a toolbox, but with a lid that snaps shut. They have a bunch of compartments which are nice for organizing flower cutters, and since they're clear, you can see what you need without much searching.

wgoat5 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:29pm
post #11 of 21

Also.. .if you all check sears (I know sounds like it might get expensive but it really doesn't).. sometimes they have scratch and dent tool organizers icon_smile.gif ... I have 1 and it's almost full icon_biggrin.gif ... I got a 2 stack for 90.00 icon_smile.gif ... original price was 160.00 icon_smile.gif

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:00am
post #12 of 21

I bought a dewalt tool box from home depot that was yellow and black until my wonderful hubby painted it pink and black. It was only $40.00 and it is deep with a shelf inside and a lid with some compartments. it also has wheels and a pull out handle to pull it by. I absolutely love it. That and my kitchen aid.

Steffen74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steffen74 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:16am
post #13 of 21

Agbay leveler for sure!!!

kayla1505 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:29am
post #14 of 21

thanks for letting me know about the wilton flower cutters, i was gonna buy those but not anymore

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:58am
post #15 of 21

Without a doubt - my KA. I used airmiles to get it and don't know how I managed without it.

kayla1505 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 7:56am
post #16 of 21

I got a KA for last years bday icon_smile.gif i love it, use it almost everyday

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 9:59am
post #17 of 21

You already have a good scale right? Congrats on graduating. Hopefully mine will be in a year.

Mike

kayla1505 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:48pm
post #18 of 21

sorry i havent writen back , its been hard to get into cakecentral the last 2 days. Graduation is 1 day away YAY icon_smile.gif I have like 3 scales. and i figured out what i want, thank you guys for the help.

apuddin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apuddin Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 8:31pm
post #19 of 21

Something I love having that most people would not think of is a large tackle box I use it to keep my gumpaste tools paint brushes and other small equipment in and you can carry it where you need it it's great.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:17pm
post #20 of 21

Something I got a week or so ago, was the new Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum. It didn't cost much about $7.00 at Wal-Mart.

Not only is it great for meats, veggies and fruit....but it is awesome for my fondant/gumpaste. Storing sugar or other types of cookies in the freezer...till I am ready to decorate them. I'm sure I'll find other ways to use it, when comes to cakes & cookies icon_smile.gif

I just got the sugarcraft gun from Beryl's as a birthday gift from my family. I haven't got to use it yet, but I have wanted one for almost a year.

I would also have to say, cutters, molds, very good rolling pin, sharp knife (for cutting fondant), impression mats and rollers, that all I can think of right now. Oh, all of Sharon's (Sugarshack's DVD's icon_biggrin.gif ). I hope to order her stacking dvd this weekend or 1st. of next week.

Good luck with picking your cake toys & have a very "Happy Birthday"! thumbs_up.gif
God Bless,
Sharon

wgoat5 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:15pm
post #21 of 21

Yep yep yep icon_smile.gif

I love my handi vac icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Beautiful invention icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%