Sfs Or Sps? Which To Choose?

Decorating By SusieHazCakes Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 5:10pm by Chef_Stef

SusieHazCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusieHazCakes Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 22

Hi, everyone,

I want to purchase either the Stress Free system or the SPS system (which Leahs uses and instructs about on this site). Other than the very obvious difference of price, does anyone have any other advice as to how to choose one of these?

I'm making a five-tier wedding cake next month for my daughter (6, 8, 10, 12 and 14-inch petals) and would really like to be able to drive the stacked cake to the wedding, as opposed to having to assemble it on site when I have five million other things to do right then.

Any opinions/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Susie

21 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 22

I think they are both very good... The sps is what I use.. I was going to invest in the SFS until I decided that I didn't want the stress of wedding cakes icon_sad.gif ... I think it would be a great investment if you do alot of weddings or huge cakes... you would have to get deposits on them and make sure you get them back... that's A LOT of money to lose!

icon_smile.gif

SusieHazCakes Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 22

Thanks, Christi, for your input. I live in Texas, so I don't sell cakes, just make them for friends and family and because it makes me SO HAPPY!! The big one coming up is pretty special and I honestly don't know when I'll do another one that big, so spending $$$ will hurt a bit. But, if I do decide to buy the Stress-Free system, I'll have it forever and use it when I need it.

wgoat5 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 22

if you decide to use it get back with me and tell me how you like it icon_smile.gif

(I know you will like it though!!!) icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Good luck and congrats on your DD's wedding icon_smile.gif

SusieHazCakes Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 22

I'll surely keep everyone posted on this cake. Y'all will probably be able to HEAR me screaming with joy when I get this baby finished. It is THE reason I ever started playing with cakes. When she got engaged, I called a bakery in Dallas and told them about what I thought I'd want and they told me it would cost about $1200-$1500. I was floored and figured they must certainly think I'm crazy to spend that kind of money. LOL! icon_surprised.gif

Well, about three times that amount of money later (on, you know, cake stuff) icon_redface.gif and maybe twelve or so cakes, I'm IN LOVE and can't imagine ever wanting to stop doing cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

Now, in 40 days she'll have the cake of her dreams (and mine). Can't wait!! Here it is in all its newly-revised craziness. I think it deserves whatever it takes to make it look JUST LIKE my drawing. icon_smile.gif And it's going to have lights shining on the disco ball. Woo-hoo!
LL

wgoat5 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 22

What a awesome cake!!!

What program did you use to make that?

I can't wait to see the final product icon_biggrin.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 22

Well, I don't know about either support system, because I use logicpic, but I wanted to say,

Wow--what a cool sketch! What program do you have that printed THAT out? I love it![/b]

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 22

It is going to look wonderful. I too would love to know what program you used.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 22

The SPS woud be more than fine for you to use. The only thing that is different is that they plates are solid so you can't drive in a central dowel, but you don't need one.

The cake is beautiful.. I personally think a nice flower arrangement might suit it better for the topper, but it's your cake and if that's what she wants well then more power to ya! icon_smile.gif

SusieHazCakes Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 22

Thank you for the notes about the drawing. icon_smile.gif Since you asked, I'll tell you how I did it, but it's not pretty and you have to promise not to think I'm totally insane. Because I'll also tell you that, even though it sounds like a total pain, to me it was fun and rewarding. Okay, so I realize that makes me sound even crazier. Oh, well. To each his own, eh? icon_lol.gif

I used Google SketchUp (free 3D software you can download from Google) to make the actual cake structure.

I used CorelDraw X4 and made a drawing that was to scale of a panel (one petal) from each of the tiers (I had to make two files for the top tier since the front side is different from the other sides). I colored all the parts of each panel.

I exported the cake drawing as a 2D Graphic (jpg) from SketchUp and imported it into CorelDraw X4. Then I copied each of my panels and pasted it into the CorelDraw drawing file that contained the jpg (export from SketchUp). I had to convert the panels to curves so I could wrap them around the contours of the cake.

As you have probably guessed, this took HOURS, but now I have a to-size printout of one panel from each tier from which I can make a template for application of all the fondant decorations and pearls.

Jeanne: I understand what you mean about flowers as a topper. After I showed my daughter hundreds of cakes with flowers of all kinds, baskets, butterflies, drapes, etc. and all the traditional wedding cake designs, she still wasn't happy. icon_sad.gif I finally just asked her what it was they wanted on top of the cake and they both said they really wanted a disco ball. They're into dance music and all that stuff, so it really does suit them. I was sad at first, but then viewed it as a challenge and now I'm happy because I get to use batteries and lights and wires. And they're thrilled! icon_biggrin.gif

Susie

SusieHazCakes Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 22

And, back to the topic of SFS vs. SPS, I'm going to buy the SFS starter set and use it. It's probably overkill, but I like what I read and hear about it and, since I'm going to use foamcore for my cakeboards, I will be able to drive a stake all the way through the bottom four tiers, which I want to do.

wgoat5 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:10pm
post #12 of 22

Oh remember me and do tell how you like the SFS icon_smile.gif

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieHazCakes

I was sad at first, but then viewed it as a challenge and now I'm happy because I get to use batteries and lights and wires. And they're thrilled! icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif they might start calling you "Duff" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:15am
post #14 of 22

I have tried both and love them both! LOL! I initially bought a bunch of the SFS, and after the huge investment (THEY ARE AMAZING!) decided I needed some that I didn't have to charge a deposit or track downicon_smile.gif GOOD LUCK! GREAT CAKE!

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:27pm
post #15 of 22

I have the SFS and LOVE them. I have transported 4 tiers with them and they didn't budge. I love the piece of mind. I also charge a flat rate of $25.00 for each wedding to use them. They have paid for themselves already. Most brides don't mind because there is not worry of falling cake. I live in a small town and don't have to worry about not getting them back. But that is my opinion.

SusieHazCakes Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:39pm
post #16 of 22

Thanks for all your helpful opinions and information. I really appreciate it. What I really like about the Stress-Free system is that you can easily adjust the pegs if your cake isn't just exactly a particular height, with up to 3/4-inch leeway. And since I can't and don't sell cakes (Texas!), getting the parts back isn't a problem. The recipients are either family, friends or coworkers and they're so happy to get a free cake that they even make sure they return my board for recycling.

SusieHazCakes Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:43pm
post #17 of 22

To clarify my previous post, the height of the posts is adjustable upward up to 3/4-inch, certainly not backward. icon_redface.gif

iamlis Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:50pm
post #18 of 22

They both are really great and LeahS will give you some great info on the SPS, they are great if you can just add the cost into your cakes and just write them off as trash. BUT my SFS, I have a heart attack worrying if this one caterer in partiular will walk out with it, like they have NUMEROUS times for cakes before! I love all caterers this one in particular has a kitchen full of decorators cake plates and tiers...that belong to me! I even have confronted them, no reply of course. I better be careful though I know IndyDebi does cater and will think I am bad mouthing her! LOL! Which I am not bad mouthing caterers AT ALL! Just this one in particular, icon_smile.gif

iamlis Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:53pm
post #19 of 22

Yes, the adjustment factor on the SFS is so nice, they are VERY user friendly! And I think hold up nicely for a reusable system, but to clarify, the SPS is NOT reusable, I guess you could wash them and reuse, but that might not be very sanitary and would be a heck of a waste of time. In the market I would say SPS is the best disposable and SFS is the BEST reusable icon_smile.gif

Chef_Stef Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:00pm
post #20 of 22

Ok, now someone is going to have to tell me what the SPS is. I know about stress-free support; what's the other one?

SusieHazCakes Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:06pm
post #21 of 22

Ahh, I didn't realize the SPS system was not reusable. I figured it was washable plastic, although you couldn't necesarily always reuse the pillars because you cut them exactly to size (at least that's my understanding). I just ordered the Stress-Free starter set and I'm happy with that decision.

Oh, and by the way, although I don't really KNOW any caterers, just to be totally CC PC, I LOVE THEM ALL!! icon_lol.gif

And, homecook, here's a link to one of LeahS's explanation about the SPS support system.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-383553-dowel.html

Chef_Stef Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:10pm
post #22 of 22

Thanks for the link; I'll check it out

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%