My 1St Pd Cake Order & I Wasn't Happy At All..need Advis

Decorating By marion123 Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 8:24am by shanasweets

marion123 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 7

Hello Everyone

this is a long one, sorry

So, I need some advise.. I had my first paid cake order over the weekend and I am friendly with the woman who I made the cake for (our kids play together)
Long story short... I made a sheet cake for her daughter's birthday, I made the filling ahead of time and put it in the refigator over night..This is my filling recipe ** 1 cup of whippping Cream, one box of dry pudding mix and crushed oreo's**
So, I make my cake Friday night, wait for it to cool and prepare to put the filling in.. The filling is so googey and sticky.. The cake is ripping, so it is a complete mess.. I throw the whole cake out (now by this time, it is 10:30 at night.. I either have to run to 3 towns over to the 24 hours Stop & Shop to start all over or wake up early in the am.. So, I set my alarm for 4:00 am, drive to the 24 hour Stop & Shop and start all over.. I made the cake over, re did the filling and finally finshed the cake.. BUT, I am so not happy with the way the filling turned out.. It wasn't as googy, but it was still stiff and I had a hard time spreading it..Everyone loved the cake at the party, but I didn't. I don't think I should of gotton paid on it and I'm afraid that they said that they liked it only to be polite.
I am so upset.. The last time, I made the same filling, I was beating it for about 5 mintues before it started to take form, this time, it was instance that it took form..

I have a call into the mom (our daughter's have a playdate on Wed) I want to tell her that I'm not happy with the filling and offer her some of her $$ back and also to ask her if she has any complanats about the cake..

I'm wondering if 2 things could of gone wrong..
1)Do you think I could of over beated the whipping cream?
2) For the pudding, is there a difference if I use instand pudding mix or regular pudding mix.

Thanks so much for listening, I'm so upset.. My first paid cake order and I was in the negative at 4:00 in the morning for profit..
Carissa

6 replies
eatdessert1st Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 7

Hmmmm... I'm a bit confused about the filling. Did you whip the cream, then add the dry pudding? Seems you'd have to add the pudding to some sort of liquid.
The cookies and cream filling I use is simply beaten whipped cream w/ some 10x and vanilla then crushed oreos folded in.
Was the cake totally cool when you tried to fill it? I've found if it's even a little bit warm it'll just tear apart.

azeboi2005 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 7

this is a huge difference between instant pudding and the cook and serve type. i'm guessing it could have been because of the type that was used. i always use instant pudding when making a moose filling.

foxymomma521 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 7

Yes you can overbeat it, and I would've used instant pudding, not cooked

Edit Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, there is a big difference between instant and regular. Regular, you have to cook. I've used this recipe before (without Oreos, though). It calls for INSTANT pudding mix. I found it too hard to spread too, so I increased the cream to 2 cups. Came out better and still stable. It doesn't need too much whipping though.

As far as paying her back, I don't think you should, unless she complains. Maybe nobody noticed, only you. You could ask her though what was the feedback because you are just starting and you want to make sure the customers get best tasting products (or something like that). Just to make you feel better.
I know how you feel, I did cakes twice, too.

marion123 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 7

Hi Everyone..

Sorry, I've been so absent w. my reply..We have that nasty cold going round and round at our house.. Thank you, Thank you for the replies and the great information, now I know what I did wrong!!
You guys are the best.. Thanks again!!

shanasweets Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 8:24am
post #7 of 7

I make a cookies and cream filling all the time and use 2 cups whipping cream and instant oreo pudding. comes out thick enough I don't need a dam but easily a mousse constistancy. everyone loves it. I don't think you had enough cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%