Anybody Ever Use.....

Decorating By buzymom1975 Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 1:14am by buzymom1975

buzymom1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buzymom1975 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 11

Anybody ever use Wilton's color mist food color spray? I just placed an order w/ Wilton and that is one of the things I ordered. Thought it looked neat the effects it showed, so on a whim, I ordered. Is it fairly easy to use? TIA all icon_smile.gif

10 replies
deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 11

If your talking about the spray cans they have with color, then yes I have tried them. They are easy to use but you have to be careful of the first hit of the spray button being too concentrated and it making a cirlce on the cake. (Hope I explained that in an understandable way.)

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 11

I use them all the time. I like the effects I get with them. Make sure you shake them well before using and move the can back and forth. This keeps the color from splattering. The only color I have been unhappy with was the black; looks more like brown to me.

buzymom1975 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:42am
post #4 of 11

Thank you both. Helps me greatly.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:50am
post #5 of 11

I used them to do my flannel shirt cake because that was before I got my airbrush. They work fine, but if you are doing a large cake you will use up a lot of cans! That shirt was an 11" by 15" and I think it took at least three cans to get it that shade of red. It kept looking pink and I was getting nervous! Hehehe. The only problem I had was one can, even though I shook the crap out of it, never had any color in it. All I could get out of it was clear liquid. I still have a couple cans, even though I have an airbrush, and they work well. They are a great choice if you cannot justify getting an airbrush! icon_wink.gif Good luck!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:16am
post #6 of 11

Yes, I have used them too. Here is my advice.

Use it outside!!! I did a cake in blue (to look like clouds). Every surface in my kitchen had a blue coating.

Also, shake the can really, really well before spraying or you will get odd, uneven or too bright of a color.

The black worked well for me. What they don't say on the can of the black (or at least I didn't read it) is that the black has a slight peppermint flavoring). We kind of liked the taste.

Here is a link to the cake my daughter made using the black spray.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1166050
That was just a light spraying of black on a white cake and it came out pretty good.

Here is a cake I did with blue to give it a cloud effect. This cake is a Wilton design.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=991883

Hope this helps you out.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:19am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

The only problem I had was one can, even though I shook the crap out of it, never had any color in it. All I could get out of it was clear liquid.

You know Melvira, come to think of it. The first can of black that I bought did the same thing. I returned it to Walmart and got another one. I wonder if the coloring settles to the bottom of the can if it is old or something and no amount of shaking can get it mixed. Hmmm! Very odd indeed icon_confused.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:22am
post #8 of 11

Oh, and be aware, no matter what you do (short of wearing a full face mask) you are going to have colored boogers for a day! icon_wink.gif

womanzano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
womanzano Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:30am
post #9 of 11

Ha ha...just have to comment on the colored boogers. I love the pretty colors that come out on all the holidays...you know red at Valentines and Christmas. Even with the heads up it still surprises you when it actually happens!

Anyway, I have used the cans of spray but only for small projects...they were fun to use and I liked the effect of the multi-colored leaves I made.

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:12am
post #10 of 11

If you can't go outside to spray the color on your cake try the method that is used on regular spray paint. Get a box large enough to set the cake in. Set the box on its side so that the top opening of the box is in front of you & the cake can be slid inside of the box easily. Spray color on cake as it sits in the box & all the excess spray will stay in the box (not all over you & the kitchen). New invention! Think I'll start selling "Stay & Spray" Boxes! Yuk! Yuk!

buzymom1975 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:14am
post #11 of 11

Thank you all for the advice. I got my Wilton delivery today and can't wait to start practicing. I am going to cover cake boards with foils, or waxed paper and do a bunch of different flowers and stuff. Figure I would start w/ just white icing and save my colors for "real" cakes...lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%