Quilting A Cake

Decorating By dchockeyguy Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 4:37pm by becklynn

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 3

Hello all,

I have been asked to do a cake that will require quilting. I purchased one of those plastic embossers that you can press into the fondant to give the effect. The problem I'm having is that the tool is not large enough to cover the cake, and I'm having difficulty getting the pieces to line up properly when doing the embossing. I am able to get the top and bottom to line up properly, but not the sides.

What do people normally use to do quilting? The one tool I dont' want to use is some kind of roller, because I'm really not good enough to get all of the angles correct.

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated, including any tool that is a "Must have" for doing this.

Trevor

2 replies
Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 3

If you aren't good at the straight lines, could you use a ruler with a rolling embosser? I tried that the other night for the first time and it worked well. You just measure out where you want your lines, make a small mark using a toothpick and line the ruler up.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 3

Are you using the diamond impression mat? When pressing it into the cake on the sides DO NOT press the last inch of the mat. Then take it off, wipe it off and then line it up. Start on the back of your cake, since it will never completely line up straight, so that needs to be the back of your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%