Is There A Way To Put 2 Fillling Flavors In Between Cake...

Decorating By sambugjoebear Updated 16 Apr 2008 , 1:29pm by sambugjoebear

sambugjoebear Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 9

Is there a way to put 2 filling flavors (ex. lemon cream chees filling and raspberry preserves) in between cake layers without the cake sliding and fallling off? I had a (mis)adventure with this yesterday and was wondering if anyone had any tips for me. TIA! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
sambugjoebear Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 9

BUMP!

cake-angel Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 9

Do you mean putting both fillings in the same section of cake or having the cake torted so there is a layer of raspberry then cake then cream cheese then cake then raspberry and then cake - put together and iced? If you mean two filling flavors in the same layer and not torted I would either stir them together or try sandwiching the rasberry between the cream cheese. I would reccomend a good stiff buttercream dam to hold the fillings in place.and give the cake something to stick to.

Homemade-Goodies Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 9

I've done that with my last cake actually, I made a buttercream dam around the circumference and filled in the middle with buttercream, not as high as the dam. Then I spread caramel over the buttercream middle, just under the dam height. When I added the next layer it was perfect, no slippage...of course, customer didn't offer me a slice, so I'm not sure how it appeared when sliced, haha, but he assured me he loved it! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 9

Yes, it can be done. Maybe you used too much filling causing the problem.
The best way would be to torte the two layers & use one filling each, but you can do as the other posters have said, using a dam of icing to hold the filling in. This should be made w/tip 12 around the edge of the cake then filling placed inside that line. Never go higher than the dam is.

azeboi2005 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 9

I did this on a cake for a friend's 25th birthday. Like the others have said i made a dam around the circumference of the cake and then I did another towards the middle, filled in with lemon curd and strawberries. When we cut the cake it made a cool stripped effect that everyone loved.

leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 9

I do it the way cake-angel does it.

Cakebelle Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 9

The dam technique works everytime! thumbs_up.gif

sambugjoebear Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 1:29pm
post #9 of 9

Well, I did it as was suggested, so now I'm just thinking that I overfilled it somehow (but it didn't go over the top edge of dam). Hmm... I must experiment more.... Thanks for your replies. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%