Just Wanted To Give Thanks (And Ask A Question)

Business By dennishaskins Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 5:48pm by GeminiRJ

dennishaskins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dennishaskins Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 2

a VERY BIG thanks to everyone that is taking the time to help all of the newbies (like myself) with all of the information you are providing! it is all so invaluable! i just started doing cakes. my mom is getting married and i offered to try my hand at the cupcakes as a gift to her. i've always been very artistic and creative, with an extensive background in cooking. so i gave the cupcakes a test run, just to see if it was out of my league, and guess what?! they looked great, so i take the cakes into her work to show her what i've done, make sure she likes them, and people are losing their minds, i have orders coming in from people left and right, i've been at this for maybe a little over a month now i'm already booked through may! with 3 cakes in june! now here is my question. i work full time at a decent job that doesnt really do anything for me except pay the bills, and i ABSOLUTELY ADORE MAKING CAKES! when is the right time to take this on more seriously, i mean i fully understand that i should keep my current job until the cakes orders are to the point that i cant physically handle both, but through reading some other posts i'm getting concerned about the whole licensing deal. i live in an apartment in the city, i'm only 23 but this is what i want to do. i come from a family of small business owners and i fully understand the comittment, financial standing and drive needed to make this succeed. i already have the start of a business plan drawn up and some money set aside for a sandwich shop i was planning, but now i'm finding the cakes are a perfect blend of my love for food and art and this is the direction i want to go in, i guess the best way to word this would be, when did you know it was the right time to take it commercial, whether that be still out of home or upgrading to your own space?

1 reply
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 2

It sounds like you have a good handle on things. I can tell you that staying in a job that isn't right for you makes for a miserable life. If you are willing to take the risk, start investigating ways to make your dream a reality and follow through. Check into renting a kitchen, or changing jobs into the food industry. Take the path that will bring you closest to your dreams and you won't have to look back later in life with regrets.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%