Quick Question About Styrofoam Dummies!

Decorating By carmenid Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 2:49pm by lovetofrost

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 9

I made my first dummy cake a few weeks ago, my question is, can I re use the styrofoam? I used piping gel to stick the fondant to the syrofoam and the fondant is hard as a rock. Is there a way to remove it without damaging the dummy? if not, what should I do in the future to be able to use the dummies more than once?

8 replies
aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 9

I slide a spatula in between the fondant and styro and slide it around and then peel it off. Seems to work fine. Wipe it off gently with water and then you should be able to re-cover it.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 9

Live it under water over night

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 9

Yah, what she said^^^^ icon_smile.gif Do be careful as you can gouge the styroicon_sad.gif
This time when you cover the styro don't put piping gel; don't even need water but it won't hurt if it's very, very slightly damp.

carmenid Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 9

oh really? the water won't mess up the foam?

carmenid Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Yah, what she said^^^^ icon_smile.gif Do be careful as you can gouge the styroicon_sad.gif
This time when you cover the styro don't put piping gel; don't even need water but it won't hurt if it's very, very slightly damp.

what can I use instead of piping gel?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 9

I leave them in hot water over night..It doesnt hurt the dummy and comes out easy!!!!!!!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 9

Run hot water over the fondant and it will start to loosen up or leave it in water for a few hours and it will peel right off.

I put a VERY thin layer of crisco on my dummies when I got to put fondant over them.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 9

I heard on another thread to lightly spritz with water then put on the fondant. Or use plastic wrap on the foam coat in a little bit of crisco to help it stick and then put on your fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%