Cupcake Bouquet Problem

Decorating By banjomom Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 5:13pm by yummymummy

banjomom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banjomom Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:51am
post #1 of 9

Hi all. I made my first cupcake bouquet yesterday, and it turned out lovely. The cupcakes stayed nicely on the toothpicks, everything came together well. But...about half an hour after I put it all together, and then again in the middle of the night, the frosting fell off one of the cupcakes right onto the counter. So it still looks lovely, just with no frosting on two of the cupcakes, LOL.

I don't think I put the frosting on too heavily, I just used the amount I usually use for cupcakes.

Has this happened to anyone else? Am I using the wrong kind of frosting? (I used the plain old Wilton Buttercream recipe, half butter and half shortening.)

???

8 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:02pm
post #2 of 9

How warm and humid is it there?

foxymomma521 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 9

Was it Crisco brand? I had that problem last summer with Crisco, so I switched to a generic brand, and then recently to hi-ratio, which I love.

banjomom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banjomom Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 9

Hi foxymomma521,

Yes, it was Crisco! It's not especially humid or hot here lately (I'm in PA), so maybe it was the shortening. I've never used hi-ratio -- how exactly is it different from regular shortening?

Thanks!

foxymomma521 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 9

I'm not sure how to explain it, but do a search for Hi Ratio, and you should find lots of answers icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 11:44am
post #6 of 9

Hi Ratio is the best ! It makes your icing light and fluffy ! I started using it a few months ago, and everyone loves it ! It cost more but is well worth it .

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 11:50am
post #7 of 9

also if you ice your cupcakes with a tip and don't touch the icing completely on the cakes it will fall off

(been there done that LOL)

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Hi Ratio is the best ! It makes your icing light and fluffy ! I started using it a few months ago, and everyone loves it ! It cost more but is well worth it .

Fiddlesticks, i just bought Sweetex brand and was watching the DVD of sugarshaks and was wondering can you use it like reg shortening? or do you use more and can you do choc icing with it?

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:13pm
post #9 of 9

This happened to me w/ my first bouquet on one cupcake, and I used an all crisco bc recipe. I found that after putting on the icing, give the cupcake a good tap on the counter once or twice and it helps the frosting adhere better. I did that w/ all my cupcakes and didn't have a problem again! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%