Cake Filling Question

Decorating By cakes21 Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 4:45pm by shisharka

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:44am
post #1 of 7

I am doing a wdding cake this weekend with a filling. Now my question is what is the best way to keep the filling in the cake. I was taught to put a circle of bc along the inside of the cake then add the filling and the bc would hold it in. Well that doesn't always work very well. Would it work better if i dug out some cake on the bottom layer then added the filling? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

6 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:03am
post #2 of 7

Try adding some extra 10x sugar to the buttercream you'll be using to make your dam, so it's stiffer and it will hold better. You can also move the dam a little to the inside to give it "spread" room once the cake layers are stacked.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:50am
post #3 of 7

Yes...add more powdered sugar to your buttercream and create a dam... REALLY STIFF...as in... you can about roll a tube out of it with your hands... Pipe it through and open coupler without the notch. icon_smile.gif

Good luck!
Pat

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:20am
post #4 of 7

I make a 3rd motion. Add more ps to the buttercream. then after you stack the cakes spackle the space between the two layers & let it sit for a few hours---gives time to settle.

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:41am
post #5 of 7

I saw an advice here on CC to use "mortar" for the dam â not just butter cream, but butter cream whipped with the shredded cutouts from leveling the cake! Iâve used this method and I love it!

Iâve also had a whole almost 1.5â tall cake ring cut out when I used whole strawberries submerged in pastry crème in the middle of cake layers â the Barbapapa cake in my pics â close up on that dam is included with the picture.

Good luck!

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:39am
post #6 of 7

Shisharka,

So you hollowed out the bottom of the cake? Then put in the creme and strawberries and put the cake back on top? That looks sooo Kewl, but even though I am seeing the pictures I don't quite understand... Course, it is earlier in the morning...

Thanks,
Pat

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 7

Pat, it is actually a ring cut out from another same-sized cake layer, and glued with a touch of SMBC to the cake below and above it. I baked three 2â thick, 12â rounds and the actual cake ended up 12-10-8â as rings were cut out from the next layer. First 12â was just torted as the bottom tier; Second 12â got a ring cut out from it for the bottom tier, then trimmed to make the 10â tier and torted it; Third 12â layer one got two rings out of it, for the 10â and for the 8â tiers, then trimmed to 8â and torted. It sounds so much more complicated than it actually is⦠I wouldnât use this process for an ordinary 1/4" filling, but since then Iâve made 2 more standing-up strawberries cakes, as they are an absolute hit, sooo fresh and light!

I had no clue how I was going to accomplish it when I started⦠The picture that inspired me was of a small chocolate cake slice with the strawberries standing up in the middle of two tortes in whipped ganache (no dam), a lot more stable than what I was going for with the pastry creme... I just figured it would be impossible to raise a 2â dam out of SMBC, or even SMBC w/cake crumbs, so cutting out cake rings just âhappenedâ as I went along.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%