I Am Making My Own Wedding Cake...

Decorating By cakeroach Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 5:28pm by tiggy2

cakeroach Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:11am
post #1 of 3

Hi All!!
I am getting married in the beginning of September and making my own wedding cake, which will have hand made and hand-painted (with vodka thinned food coloring) fondant flowers all over it. My question is, how long ahead of time can I make these? I would like to start them now, if possible, since the cake will be rather large (5 tiers) and will have A LOT of very intricate detailed flowers. So, how long in advance can I make them, and how should I store them? Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!

2 replies
mccorda Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 3

Congratulations on getting married, neighbor! (I'm one county over)
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to storing fondant flowers, I haven't worked with fondant enough yet to know. But from what I've read here on CC, you can start early, but it wuld be a good idea to mix a little gumpaste into the fondant. It will dry faster and harder.
Hopefully this will give you a bump so someone more knowlegable will answer.

tiggy2 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 3

Yes you can start them now and store them in a cool, dry place but NOT in an airtight container as they will get soft. A cake box or shoe box would work fine and keep them out of the sunlight as they will fade. As stated above using 50/50 gumpaste/fondant or adding tylose to the fondant will help a great deal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%