Need Some Advice For Molding Fondant

Decorating By skittles2120 Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 12:14am by skittles2120

skittles2120 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:23am
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone,

I have my first wedding order for May 3rd. The couple wants something unique. He is from Wisconsin and she is from Iowa so on the top of their cake they want a corn cob with a veil and a cheese wedge with a top hat. icon_smile.gif I haven't molded fondant into a figure of any sort before so I was just curious on any advice you would have. Thanks so much!

3 replies
plbennett_8 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:50am
post #2 of 4

You might want to start playing with it, and see how it goes... I know that a lot of people check out clay moulding books... It's very similar... I'm just not that artistic... You might also want to do seaches for key words here and see what comes up in the gallery. Always great for ideas! icon_smile.gif

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:18am
post #3 of 4

That is definitely a unique cake topper.

If I were doing it, I would mold them on wooden skewers so that they could be pushed into the cake. The cheese should be easy, just an orange triangle with a thin strip of red on the bottom. For the corn cob, if you have it mostly wrapped in leaves, you wouldn't have to texture the whole thing. To get the right texture on the leaves, you could buy a package of tamale wrappers, dust your fondant with cornstarch, and then lay the corn husk (because that's what a tamale wrapper is) on top of the fondant and go over it with your rolling pin to give it the right texture, then cut it into leaf shapes. For the veil, you might just use a real piece of tulle...or I saw something yesterday where they were rolling a piece of fondant against a clean piece of lace to get a lace texture. They were using a pasta machine, but you wouldn't have to. You would probably have to use lots of cornstarch or the fondant would just stick to the lace. Then use the ball tool to ruffle the edges of the veil, and dust with pearl dust so it looks like tulle.

I haven't built a fondant top hat, but I think you could use the wilton circle cutters. Cut a medium circle, then cut a small circle out of the middle. The medium circle is the brim, and the small circle is the top. Put the small circle in a ziplock bag so it doesn't dry out. Then cut a rectangle long enough to go around the small circle plus a little overlap, and as tall as you want the hat to be. Make the rectangle into a tube, moistening the overlapping edge with some meringue powder mixed with water and pressing it a little bit with the ball tool on a foam square. Moisten the edge of the cutout circle and set the tube into the cirlce cutout. Use a ball tool to press the inside of the bottom edge of the tube against the circle. Let them dry a little bit, then moisten the top edge of your tube with your fondant "glue" and set the small circle on the top....and then make an extra one in case the first one breaks! icon_biggrin.gif

Anyhow, now I'll probably have to try it...but I'm sure it will work!

skittles2120 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:14am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%