How To Frost A Cake When Using A Wilton Pan

Decorating By Roberta1 Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 6:08am by Roberta1

Roberta1 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,

I have a question and hope you can help icon_smile.gif

I just bought the Wilton Baby Carriage cake pan for my daughter's baby shower cake.

I got home, looked at it, and thought: How do I frost the top of this without covering up all the indentations (the design) of the cake top?"

Is there a trick to this???

Thanks in advance to whoever can help me!
Roberta

7 replies
Charmed Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:53am
post #2 of 8

I think if you use your star tip you can just follow the shapes.

Molly2 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:05am
post #3 of 8

Roberta1

I have that pan and if you look at my pics you will see it you have different options you should have received a instruction sheet with your pan if you didn't you can get a copy of it off the Wiltons web site used the #18 tip

Molly2

apetricek Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:05am
post #4 of 8

when using a wilton pan, I usually take a complimenting color and outline all the details of the cake, and then fill it in with whatever tip you choose. I would use whatever color you are planning on making the carrige and use a #2, or #3 tip to do the outlining. I find this to be the most helpful. Hope this helps! Good luck and congrats on the new baby!!!!

JanH Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:20am
post #5 of 8

Here's a close-up from the Wilton baby carriage pan decorating directions showing finished cake using stars:

http://www.cakepans4less.com/Instr2105-3319%20Babybuggy.PDF

You might want to invest in the Wilton triple-star tip to speed up the process:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article42-Decorating-Tip-Numbers.html
(Under multi-opening decorator tips.)

HTH

butterflywings Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 8

that triple star tip is a wrist saver!!! makes quick work of it!

trumpetmidget Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 8

So, I had a thought about this and wonder if it would work? Could you put icing on plastic wrap and then, put the wrap in the cake pan, smooth it out, freeze it, take it out, flip it upside down on the cake and peel the plastic away before it melts back to icing? Has anybody ever tried something like that? I was just curious to see if something like that would work. Sounds good on paper...I'll have to try it sometime.
Don't know if this helped. It was something I had thought about, but had never tried (I don't too many shaped pans).

Roberta1 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:08am
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much! I knew you all would come through for me.

I appreciate the links, tips, and mold idea.

That mold idea is interesting but I don't have time to experiment or else I'd check it out. icon_sad.gif

Thanks for your help!

Happy Caking!
Roberta

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%