Put Wires In A Cake

Decorating By Winter1979 Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 6:14pm by janbabe

Winter1979 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 6

You don't put them directly into the cake, do you?

I'm talking about the tall wires that shoot out of a cake and have a fondant decoration at the end.

5 replies
born2bake Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 6

There was a thread about this within the last week, glad I saw it as I wondered how this was done. One CC'er puts straws in her cake and then puts the wire down in to the straw. This will hold the wire in place and not tear up the cake as the wire moves around. Just cover up the area where you put the straw with frosting or decoration. I tried to find the thread but could not, sorry.

Amia Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:06am
post #3 of 6

Yes, you do put them into the cake, but use the coffee stirrers to stabilize them and keep them from tearing through the cake. With fondant, I put the straws in the bc and leave them sticking out a little so when the fondant goes on and I smooth it, the straws make a small indention (the smoothing presses them all the way down into the cake). This way the straws are not visible, and there's no hole in my fondant, but I still know where to stick the wires in.

mommycakediva Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:22am
post #4 of 6

amia1024 thanks for the great idea when using fondant! I will try this on my next cake coming up soon!

jeffb Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 6

Is there any special wire that should be used for this?

janbabe Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 6

You should never put wires directly into the cake, always use a flower pick or a straw.
Once you've made your decoration on the wires and taped them together, make a hole in the cake (can use a dowel to do this) where you plan to put the decoration, then insert a straw or pick ( a pick is similar to a straw and you can get them in various sizes) and then push your decoration in to that.
The straw or pick is inserted right down to the board and just a milimetre left at the top of the icing, so people can get it out.

If the decoration you wired together is quite thick once you have taped it together, then use a pick which fits the width of the taped wires.

Hope this helps.
Jan icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%