Pricing Structure--By The Cake Not By The Serving Anyone?

Business By costumeczar Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 10:49pm by TexasSugar

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone charge per cake then add on extra charges for decorating, etc.? I'm considering doing this because I've seen how some people at reception sites cut the cake slices so thin the clients are getting a lot more servings out of the cakes than I'm telling them. I don't know how to do this logically, though...If anyone else does it I'd like to know what your pricing structure is like.

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:38am
post #2 of 4

They are welcome to cut it any dang way they want. When you price by serving, you are just using a guideline .... a specific measuring tool .... to help you determine the price of the cake.

Example: 8" round serves 24 x $3/serving = $72.

Customer calls and says "I need a cake to serve 15 people. How much is it?" You say, "That would be our 8" cake, which serves 15-24, depending on how you cut it. It's $72."

I use the wilton wedding chart to determine the price, not necessarily to determine the servings per cake .... even tho' they are ironically the same number.

I also don't charge for design elements, so I'd have nothing to add on. icon_redface.gif

KFC says the 16 piece bucket serves 8 people. This is assuming 2 pieces per person. Should they change their pricing because you take it home and each person has 1 piece so you really got 16 servings out of it instead of 8?

I think you're overthinking this one. icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 4

Yeah, you're right...This is what I think about while I stand around washing dishes, ha ha!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 4

Oh it is very easy to start overthinking this pricing stuff. I think the main thing every one that is charging for their cakes should do is figure costs. You can pick a number out of the air for your price per serving (or per cake), but it doesn't do you much good if it doesn't even cover what you spend making it, including the little things and your time.

Once you know what it is costing you, you can better figure your prices. I do think it is simpler for you and others if you keep it simple and don't have a different price for everything. The less you have to try to explain the easier it is for you. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%