Agbay - Level Frozen Or Not Frozen?

Decorating By imartsy Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 1:49pm by HerBoudoir

imartsy Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 16

So I have my new Agbay (YEAH!) sitting here, and I have two cakes that I just made (about an hour ago). So they're pretty cooled off - but I sorta burnt the tops a bit - solution.... use my AGBAY!

BUT, should I freeze the cakes and then use it, or should I try to use it with the cakes as they are now?

15 replies
imartsy Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:05am
post #2 of 16

hmm anyone?

HerBoudoir Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:47am
post #3 of 16

I find cakes are easiest to trim/tort when they are well chilled, but not frozen. Frozen cake can be too hard; warm/room temp cake crumbles too easily and is messy.

I have to make a cake for class tomorrow; I baked the layers today and they're wrapped in saran wrap and in the fridge now. I'll tort them tomorrow.

imartsy Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:33am
post #4 of 16

Well I didn't hear from anyone, so I had to freeze the cakes, but I guess I'll let them thaw out a bit before I try leveling them with my Agbay.....

snowshoe1 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 16

You don't need to freeze (or even chill) your cake if you have the Agbay. I never did this when I used a knife either. The agbay blade is super sharp (ask me how I know icon_wink.gif ) - it will cut through your cake just fine if it is cooled.

butternut Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 16

I don't refrigerate or freeze my cakes before torting with my Agbay. I just let the cakes cool down completely. The Agbay cuts through it like butter. Never an issue with crumbling or anything. It creates a very clean cut every time. I so enjoy torting because I know this is the one thing that I can really count on to come out perfect every time. Love that Agbay!!!

imartsy Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks everyone - next time I'll know just to let them cool and then go for it!

diane Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 16

what in the world is agbay??? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

imartsy Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 16

it's a fabulous cake leveling tool. MUCH better than the crappy Wilton one that cuts you and breaks and is just awful.

You can find it here: www.agbayproducts.com

The woman's name is Maureen - you have to phone to order or fax the order in. She's very nice and I got the product very very fast!

I have the single blade one.

sweetneice Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 16

I just clicked on the link for Agbay and I'm very interested in getting one. Here's the question: How do you know how high or low to go for an accurate tort? I've always used a large serrated knife, and HATE doing that. I really would like the agbay better.

imartsy Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:59am
post #11 of 16

Well I'm cutting the top off of the cakes I made based on the part where it "bubbled over" the top... and kinda burnt. As far as torting, I think you just eye it about half way. As long as you mark with a toothpick the top and bottom layer, you can match them back up after you add the filling.

Also though - the Agbay is supposed to cut straight across.... and it won't bend or snap into the wrong level like the Wilton leveler does. My Wilton leveler always would snap in the middle and the level would shoot up... ruinin the cake - I guess the tension on it was bad....

Anyway, you could always measure the cake too - if it's a two inch cake, then cut at 1 inch. The Agbay has a ruler on its sides.

elizw Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:10am
post #12 of 16

i want one!!!! so jealous!!

vdrsolo Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:14pm
post #13 of 16

I have always leveled mine after they have cooled, no freezing.

The ruler on the side is very handy, it's broken down into 1/8" increments.

I level and torte my cakes at the same level so my finished tiers are about 4 1/8" with the icing which works perfect with the Bakery Craft SPS 4" pillars, the plate is just SLIGHTLY embedded in the icing but not touching the cake at all.

HerBoudoir Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:22pm
post #14 of 16

These look pretty interesting - I'm old school, I use a serated knife and a turntable icon_smile.gif

I didn't see on the webpage how much this gadgets are....anyone?

butternut Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:36pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

These look pretty interesting - I'm old school, I use a serated knife and a turntable icon_smile.gif

I didn't see on the webpage how much this gadgets are....anyone?

On the web site above the video, click on ORDER FORM and the prices will come up. They are a bit pricey but well worth the money.

HerBoudoir Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:49pm
post #16 of 16

Ack! I'll stick to my turntable and knife icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%