Writing On A Wedding Cake

Decorating By ShopGrl1128 Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 3:28am by Jopalis

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 43

Hi CCers:
I just met with a bride that wants the name of all her guests written all over a four- tier round cake.
Have someone done something similar?

I was thinking to use one of those wilton lettering kits but I'm not sure how succesfully they work.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance.

42 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 43

I've seen this topic in other threads. gawd, is there some magazine or website promoting this silly idea or something? I can't figure out WHY a bride would want all of the guests names on a cake......it's just not an appealing idea to me personally.

that out of the way, how many names are you talking? Engravers charge per letter. How long will it take you to do each name? Assume 2 minutes per name x 150 names = 300 minutes = 5 hours just to put the names on. What is your rate per hour?

Obviously, I'm just making up numbers for illustrative purposes, but it's just to get you thinking on how long this will really take you.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 43

The wilton lettering press is more trouble then it is worth. Not to mention the names would be very big if you used it.

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 43

Wow that is a different idea, it sure would take a long time not to mention hard to make really straight and neat. Glad I wasn't asked, but good luck!!

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 43

I second Twiggy on the Wilton letter press. I bought it because I don't have the greatest handwriting skills. But I couldn't even get Happy Birthday Suzanne on a 10 inch cake with those letters. Steer clear of that kit.
Indydebi-a friend of ours just came back from a wedding and their cake had all the resturants they had ever eaten at on the side of the cake. It was very strange she said and everyone was talking about it but not in a good way. Also what happens if someone RSVPs and doesn't show up? Do you take their name out of the cake?

ShopGrl1128 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I've seen this topic in other threads. gawd, is there some magazine or website promoting this silly idea or something? I can't figure out WHY a bride would want all of the guests names on a cake......it's just not an appealing idea to me personally.

that out of the way, how many names are you talking? Engravers charge per letter. How long will it take you to do each name? Assume 2 minutes per name x 150 names = 300 minutes = 5 hours just to put the names on. What is your rate per hour?

Obviously, I'm just making up numbers for illustrative purposes, but it's just to get you thinking on how long this will really take you.

Oh lord...I've been trying for find this topic in another thread but couldn't find anything.
The bride wants...275 names (!!!!!) on the cake; I already told her it was very time consuming and they all probably wouldn't fit, so she said she might cut out some names.

I charge $15.00/hr so just the writing would be $137.50; I've been looking for ideas on how to do it...and nothing...

Thank you for your help anyways.

indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 43

As my 15 year old would say, "Oh he!! no!" to the $15 /hour.

My MINIMUM for any above-and-beyond is $25/hour and if I'm in a bad mood, it's $50 or $75..... $200 minimum. While I'm spending FIVE HOURS ....... (wait .... in this case 275 x 2 min = 550 minutes = over 9 hours).........

If I'm going to spend NINE HOURS working on this kind of detail, that's NINE HOURS that I can't meet with another bride and book a $3500 catering job, or bake another wedding cake. It's called Opportunity Cost. .... the cost of the sales/booking opportunity I lost while working on your request.

Plus all the pain medication I'd have to take for the cramps in my hands and the pain in my back!

As I recall previous threads, there were suggestions about printing the names in small font from your computer to see how they would fit on the cakes. Gosh, I hope someone pops in here who knows about that, because it was very interesting in how it can be done. (I'm not interested in actually doing it, but it was interesting to read about it! icon_lol.gif )

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:44am
post #8 of 43

I'm doing a wedding cake next month that has lyrics to the couple's theme song on each of the three larger tiers, with a monogram on the top tier (four tiers in all). I printed the lyrics out and pinned them to a stacked dummy so they could see what it would look like, and they liked it. Freehand writing is something that I don't have a problem with so I'll mark a guide line faintly on the cake and then write the lyrics out.

This bride originally considered having 200 names on the cake, but changed her mind to the much-less-trouble song lyrics.

Deanna

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:51am
post #9 of 43

If I don't find my name, or it's spelled wrong, I'm taking my gift home LOL. Please post picture of cake when you're done Oh, and I want MY name in front...

ShopGrl1128 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:53am
post #10 of 43

Deanna:
My hand writting isn't too bad either.
I was wondering if you are going to do the writing in RI.

TooMuchCake Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:30am
post #11 of 43

Evelyn, no, I'll be using buttercream with a little piping gel added to give it elasticity and help it go through the smaller tips without breaking. This cake is going to be buttercream with fresh flowers so I'll be writing in buttercream, too. I'm hoping the cake will be as pretty as I envision it... Off white base icing, "clover green" lettering, and woodland-type flowers and ferns. When is your wedding cake due? Mine's on May 24 and I'll try to remember to post a pic.

Deanna

ShopGrl1128 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:32am
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannem

If I don't find my name, or it's spelled wrong, I'm taking my gift home LOL. Please post picture of cake when you're done Oh, and I want MY name in front...

HA! I know!!!
My b/f was asking if everybody would get a slice with their name on it...hopefully the bride won't expect that too!

I already told the bride the whole process is very time consuming $$$ so I'm praying she will change her mind...option 2 is the entire cake convered with the bride and groom pictures and I don't even own one those edible image printing and ordering those pictures online are expensive.
She has a third option which is a "normal" cake.
I will send her all three quotes and hopefully she will pick the latest.

Quote:
Quote:

TooMuchCake
Evelyn, no, I'll be using buttercream with a little piping gel added to give it elasticity and help it go through the smaller tips without breaking. This cake is going to be buttercream with fresh flowers so I'll be writing in buttercream, too. I'm hoping the cake will be as pretty as I envision it... Off white base icing, "clover green" lettering, and woodland-type flowers and ferns. When is your wedding cake due? Mine's on May 24 and I'll try to remember to post a pic.

Deanna

You're cake sounds gorgeous, good luck with it, mine is for July 27th.

If the bride picks the cake with the writing I will have to go with RI since is covered in MMF...I think BC with gel would be easier to do but probably will make the fondant look greasy, or maybe it will sliiiide down...
I will make a couple of tests...we will see.

I will keep you updated.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:34am
post #13 of 43

I'm with IndyDebi on this one! Dang...who came up with this silly idea? Probably someone who had never held a piping bag...sheesh... icon_confused.gif

TooMuchCake Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:37am
post #14 of 43

The bride I'm working with showed me a picture of a cake with 250 names piped on the sides of four tiers. I guess it was supposed to look "casual" or something, but it would have driven me nutso. Anyway, she got the pic out of a magazine. Maybe I still have the email she sent me with the pic in it... I'll go check.

Deanna

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:55am
post #16 of 43

It doesn't look half bad but there's no way I would want to do a cake like that. Gosh, that's too much trouble. I agree with the rest of ya'll. No way, it's crazy~ The things people come up with LOL icon_smile.gif

ShopGrl1128 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:57am
post #17 of 43

OMG!!!! exact same cake, how funny is that???

THAT's the evil cake my bride wants...

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:58am
post #18 of 43

Sweetcakes23 is a friend of mine and she made this cake. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1098613 She was nervous about the writing too but she just free handed it I believe.

I'd ask her for you but she's on a cruise right now...lucky girl!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:00am
post #19 of 43

Well, it says it took three hours to write all the names on the cake...Looks like they did first names only. It took me about 15 minutes to write 20 names on cookies so I guess it could be done...but getting the writing straight would be a challenge.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:01am
post #20 of 43

I have a poem cake in my pictures that was edible images. If I were asked to do allof those names, I would print them on edible paper and slap those babies on to the cake. Or at least offer it as the not quite as expensive option.

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:02am
post #21 of 43

Ok, the picture helps me understand a bit better. That cake is beautiful, but I absolutely can not imagine writing 250 names on that cake. The first tier would be pretty... but by the 4th, people would be wondering "what the hell does that say?" Not to mention, it would probably take me a few glasses of something (mmm hmm) to get me motivated... yikes.

But, it is pretty.

ShopGrl1128 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:15am
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I have a poem cake in my pictures that was edible images. If I were asked to do allof those names, I would print them on edible paper and slap those babies on to the cake. Or at least offer it as the not quite as expensive option.

Your cake is beautiful!
I would probably do the edible images instead of all the piping but I don't own a printer...so we'll see.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:18am
post #23 of 43

I wouldn't even like to try, writing on cakes is not my forte, I love my FMM letters, but even if my writing was good, that would just be so boring for me & a lot of hard work. So I wouldn't even agree to it.

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:20am
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeGrlPA

Hi CCers:
I just met with a bride that wants the name of all her guests written all over a four- tier round cake.
Have someone done something similar?

I was thinking to use one of those wilton lettering kits but I'm not sure how succesfully they work.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Heres a video I have of one of our CCers (CakeBaker) on a news show in Kansas showing how to apply writing on cakes...HTH's,Mary

http://www.ktka.com/news/2007/jul/10/word_appeal_sutterby_shows_how_write_appetizing_me/

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:36am
post #25 of 43

Thanks for sharing that video. How cool! But I can imagine time consuming pressing the pin into the paper for all that writing! She sure does beautiful work. I love how her cake turned out~Beautiful!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:09am
post #26 of 43

I personally don't like the look of the cake. I think it's too busy. I could understand wanting the wedding party & immediate family's names but EVERYONE's is ridiculous. I do like Rebecca Sutterby except I use a toothpick to punch the holes. But I agree that my hourly rate would go up since my hands cramp bad since I have carpal tunnel syndrome---not fun!

If she's wanting writing I would suggest every other layer & maybe her favorite song lyrics ("their song") or the wedding party's names. Just no way I would do 275 names. Could you imagine the tiny font? You're eyes may bug out of your head! Good luck no matter what you decide.

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:28pm
post #27 of 43

How about a sheet cake done in fondant and then leave the food markers on the table and each guest can sign their name on it? She can then have a photo taken as a keepsake? If there was room each guest could write a message too. The couple could keep this cake for their anniversary cake. Easier for you, cheaper for her.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:33pm
post #28 of 43

Great idea Pamconn!

indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:40pm
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Great idea Pamconn!

I agree! That is a fabulous idea and VERY unique!

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:47pm
post #30 of 43

My friend used this idea for a going away cake at her work. I belive she said that our Wilton teacher gave her the idea. I saw a photo of the cake and it was really cute. You might have to have someone from the wedding party get it started so everyone knows that they are supposed to sign it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%