Fondant Diamonds On Sides Of Cakes?

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 2:34pm by maria892

springlakecake Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 14

so I am wondering about fondant diamond cut outs around the sides of cakes. Say like this on for example:

Do you just not worry about the back side matching up? I assume it would be hard to guarantee that they would match up all the time. Is it better to use a diamond shaped cutter or would a square work? thank you!!

13 replies
eriksmom Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 14

ok, first, that is the cutest cake! I am going to keep an eye on this thread, because my diamonds NEVER match up. i've only used either square cutters, or i'll make measured strips and cut them that way. but since my math stinks, its hard for me to figure the dimensions of each diamond.
I hope someone has an answer for us!

Petit-four Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 14

I haven't made diamonds quite that large, but as eriksmom mentioned, I'd run a band of waxed paper around the cake, fold evenly until you found the size you wanted, and then use graph paper to make the template. The folded paper would of course be the center point. Perhaps transfer the pattern onto thin food-safe plastic -- I save old crisco lids for that.

The small beads look like they give a bit of wiggle room in case the fondant stretches a bit. I hope this helps....?

springlakecake Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:45am
post #4 of 14

Thanks! I think I am going to see if I can find some diamond cutters. I guess if it doesnt match up, it will just be the back.

wgoat5 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:51am
post #5 of 14

I want to do the diamonds also so great thread icon_smile.gif

I am soooo intimidated by them icon_sad.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:37pm
post #6 of 14

i'd love to learn how to do them too.

hwnhulahands Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:56pm
post #7 of 14

I want to learn too.

maria892 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 14

Hi Merissa...

I made a cake with Diamonds last year:

What I did first was measure the cake circumference and then decide what size diamonds I wanted and then worked out how many diamonds I could get evenly.

I actually used a square cutter and just squished it in a diamond shape to the size I needed to achieve an even amount of diamonds around the cake. But you must be careful not to stretch the fondant, otherwise your measurements will be out... icon_lol.gif

It wouldn't matter if you used a square or diamond cutter - you would have to squish it anyway to get your sizing right for an even amount of diamonds to fit into the circumference of your cake.!

Hope this helps somewhat - That cake looks fantastic, by the way - Good Luck !!!!

springlakecake Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:02pm
post #9 of 14, great cake!

I guess I need to decide if I really want to go to that much trouble! I dont need to do diamonds, I just thought I might........hmmmm

Barbend Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:12pm
post #10 of 14

I have diamond cutters. But i also have used square cutters, the cheap ones from wilton and made them into diamonds by squeezing the two opposite sides together. I usually have some trouble with them matching up . I always start in the back. I have strecthed the last diamond slightly to make it fit.

Cakenicing4u Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:23pm
post #11 of 14

Ok, grab a paper and a pen, so you can jot this down. It's easier to understand! MEasure the height of the cake, then the circumference. write it down. draw a rectahgle that is to be a piece of fondant in real life... make it the height of the cake and as long as you want. Make a mark every two inches or so on the top and on the bottom. We're going to imagine that these are numbered 1,2,3 across the top and A,B,C on the bottom. Grab a ruler and make the marks from A to 2 then b to 3 and so on... then go back and make marks from 1 to B and 2 to c. You'll see a diamond in the center and triangles above and below. =) just what you want!

In fondant, I usuallly do this 2-3 times so that the fondant doesn't dry out too much. The most critical thing is to know the height of the cake!! If your cake is overly tall or topsy turvey, you may need more than a two inch gap, but on most round cakes, 4 inches high, this is a good formula!

All we use is a ruler and a sewing "pizza cutter" it's small so it's easier to control. We also have a rectangle grid that we can roll it out on to keep it uber-straight, but it's not that necessary if you measure twice and cut once. =)

maria892 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:24pm
post #12 of 14
Originally Posted by merissa, great cake!

I guess I need to decide if I really want to go to that much trouble! I dont need to do diamonds, I just thought I might........hmmmm

Merissa !!!

It's not that much trouble!!! you can do it - it just takes a little preparation before you get stuck into decorating. It will be worth it in the end!

Just measure the circumference of your cake, and let's say you need 12 diamonds on that particular cake, then divide 12 into your circumference number and the answer you get is the size that you have to squish the cutter to. It may not be an even number - but that is what you squish the cutter to.

It's easy - YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

e.g if your cake is 12 inches round, and you want, say 15 diamonds, ..12 divided by 15 = 0.8 inches. each diamond then would be 0.8 inches wide from point to point.

If you want more diamonds, squish the cutter smaller. If you want less diamonds, make the diamond larger...OK???

springlakecake Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:21pm
post #13 of 14

oh we will see! LOL!

maria892 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 14

I HOPE SO!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%