How To Make Flowers Without Cutters Or Veiners?

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 5:42pm by lecrn

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 6

I've learned how to make a rose and ribbon roses using fondant without cutters or veiners. i wanted to know if there are other flowers i can make without them? any tutorials out there?

thanks!

5 replies
TooMuchCake Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 6

CC member Sugarflowers (Michele Foster) has a really good DVD out where she makes a lot of flowers using very few supplies. She likes avoiding using specialty tools wherever possible. You can see what's covered on the DVD at www.lickthespoonproductions.com

Deanna

playingwithsugar Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 6

You have to create a template. What old-time cake decorators did was to actually buy one of the flowers they wanted to make, and take it apart, then draw each petal or part's outline on heavy cardstock or paper.

There is probably a tutorial out there for this, but I have not seen one. An ICES friend of mine showed me at her house, when I was visiting.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 6

i wonder how long it will take for them to ship it to asia.

TooMuchCake Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 6

I know she told me she just shipped one to Australia. She's good at answering her PMs. You could PM her and ask how long she thinks it will take to get it to you.

She doesn't do the template thing (although lots of people do that, so it's a good idea if you want to make something specific).

Deanna

lecrn Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 6

You can make simple "pulled" flowers. All you need is a sm wooden pointed stick, and an exacto knife.
Make a pea-sized piece of gp & make it into a cone.
Insert the stick into the thick end of the cone.
Use your knife to make 5 equal petals.
Take the flower off the stick & squash ea petal btw your thumb & forefinger.
Pinch the ends of ea petal to make the edges rounded.
Soften & thin by pulling ea petal slightly.

You can also make freesia, violets, stephanotis, lily of the valley in a similar way.
I learned this method in Nic Lodge's Sugar Flowers.
Here's a pic of the simple pulled flower:
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%