How Many Of You Freeze Your Cakes

Decorating By missym Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 9:37pm by yh9080

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:38am
post #31 of 39

I almost always freeze my cakes wrapped in plastic wrap and then reynolds wrap. Then I leave on the counter still wrapped until they're thawed. Everyone loves how moist they are. I don't think I've ever frozen a cake for more than two weeks... so far...

Susgene

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:39am
post #32 of 39

I put cake boards between every two of my individually wrapped layers in the freezer and make sure they are flat in the freezer.

Other wise you will have misshappen cakes if they are pushing up into something else. Or have items fall on them before they are totally frozen.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:52pm
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiET

Do chocolate cakes freeze well? I usually make the recipe in back of the Hersheys cocoa box. I am making a chocolate cake for my SIL's wedding next month. I have frozen the WASC but never have I froze the chocolate ones. Do they do OK?

did any one anwser this question about Choc cake being frozen im curious too since all i have frozen was white

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:55pm
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:

Do chocolate cakes freeze well? I usually make the recipe in back of the Hersheys cocoa box. I am making a chocolate cake for my SIL's wedding next month. I have frozen the WASC but never have I froze the chocolate ones. Do they do OK?

did any one anwser this question about Choc cake being frozen im curious too since all i have frozen was white

I also make a scratch chocolate cake similar to the Hershey's recipe, and freeze it all the time. Very moist! icon_smile.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:59pm
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:

I also make a scratch chocolate cake similar to the Hershey's recipe, and freeze it all the time. Very moist! icon_smile.gif

Thanks i have a few grooms cakes that are to be Chocolate so now i can make ahead of time and freeze them do you fill them at the time of freezing?

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:23pm
post #36 of 39

I freeze every type of cake - white, chocolate, pound, carrot, fruit. I usually freeze them uncut. I find that they tort better after they've been frozen rather than before. I take them out of the freezer, unwrap and let it thaw on the counter while I'm making my fillings, icing or fondant. By the time I'm ready, so are they! When I'm ready to level or torte them, I use an electric knife because it just slices through the cake so cleanly and doesn't make a crumbly mess like my Wilton cake leveller did (which I threw away!). Freezing the the cakes beforehand makes that process so much easier. Most of the time, I don't even need to crumb coat or glaze the cake because it's not necessary.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:46pm
post #37 of 39

I spent over 20 years NOT freezing cakes and then I found CC, was convinced it was ok to try it and now I look back and wonder how in the WORLD I made cakes without freezing them!

Easier to work with, moister, did I mention easier to work with? Unlike meat, it doesnt' take long for them to thaw. Small ones take less than an hour ... large ones just a couple of hours.

Thaw while still wrapped and the moisture collects on the outside of the saran .... ergo the cake won't get all mooshy (which was a concern in one earlier post.

I especially love it when a bride swoons over my sample cake, makes a statement about loving fresh-not-frozen cake...... then I ask, "so you want your cake to taste just like that one, then?" when she nods enthusiastically, it's SO much fun to tell her, "That cake has been in my freezer for 3 weeks!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif (oh yeah ... that IS a real conversation!)

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 8:00pm
post #38 of 39

Ditto on the freezing, I freeze all of my cakes, not only for time saving reasons, but I truly believe that they are more moist. Just make sure they cool completely before wrapping and freezing (I used to wrap and stick them in the freezer while warm, which for health safety reasons, is a big no-no). I have frozen them for a day to months.........I place mine on Tuff board, then wrap with two layers of Saran Wrap, then aluminum foil, then inside a grocery or unscented garbage bag. When thawing, leave the saran and aluminum wrap on them (so the condensation collects on the outside of the packaging), and thaw on the countertop..............That's my 2 cents icon_wink.gif

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:37pm
post #39 of 39

I bake the weekend before. I wrap a cake board in press and seal, place the cake on it, and then wrap in glad wrap and foil. The cake board keeps the cake from getting mishapen and by wrapping it, I can reuse it. I thaw on my counter fully wrapped.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%