Birthday's Cake

Decorating By dolphincake Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 10:56am by Tona

dolphincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphincake Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 11

When making birthday's cake, do you include the candles? If you do, do you add the price of the candles to the cake's price?

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 11

No..that is kind of a personal thing with people unless they ask me too!! Cost of some of those character candles are $4.99 ...I would tell them that you will add it into the cost of the cake!!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:29am
post #3 of 11

I think the thing to do is not do it.. unless you have full rein of the cake and still then no real candles.... BUT you could do something like Dolittle did on her cake and make one out of fondant/gp like is in the picture.. isn't it adorable?
LL

dolphincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphincake Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 11

Lol love that cake.
I was just wondering what everyone else do and if they have been requested this.
Thanks to the ones who voted icon_smile.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 11

Hi folks,

Yes, the fondant candle is cool! I love Dolittle's cakes!! icon_smile.gif
I have also seens some great chocolate candles in the Whimsical Bakehouse book.

Generally, I try to go the extra step for my clients (usually friends of family or references). I go to the dollar store and just buy a big 100-pack of birthday candles.

For anniversaries or birthdays, I take the correct number out and tape them to the inside of the box along with a few paper clipped business cards. Little things like that help a busy client who comes to me anyway and the cost is very minimal (5-10 cents worth of candles).

I forgot, I did a similar type candle and brushed it with luster dust to give a little "oopmh" to the design. The picture is in my gallery of the large cupcake with the candle.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 11

Wow, I was just thinking this exact same thing!!

I haven't done it, but I think it would be a good idea. But I would only do how loriana does it - some small cheap candles.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 11

For family I always bring some with me just in case they were expecting me to supply them in the first place (usually about 50% of the time we end up needing my candles). For strangers I don't provide the candles unless they ask for them. In that case I do add the price into the cake total.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 7:03am
post #8 of 11

I know I appreciated when I "used" to buy from the local grocery store and they supplied a box with the cake. It just saved the hassle of going out and buying them and were quite the "saver" when you just forgot to buy some. Depending on who it's for (i.e. for the "kids" I like to buy some special ones) I uses the ones the gave me and the rest are just sitting in a box in the kitchen drawers.

So to answer your question: if the cost is minimal than I would definitely do it, it sometimes doesn't take much to please a customer, they'll think you very thoughtful! HTH

Cheers! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 10:14am
post #9 of 11

You know now that xstitcher said that they used to recieve a small box of candles with their cake order...I remember also... was a long time ago but I do remember that when I was little!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 10:33am
post #10 of 11

When I had my shop I offered free candles and less than 1/3 of the people would take them. I even had expensive shaped ones. I was stuck w/over $500 worth of candles when I closed icon_sad.gif

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 10:56am
post #11 of 11

I provide them in t he box so it is their choice to use them. I just do this as a service. I do not charge for the candles unless it is a character candle that cost 4.99 then I do add this to the cost of the cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%