Newbie Stacking A Whale Cake Help

Decorating By thecook Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 2:09pm by thecook

thecook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecook Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 11:31am
post #1 of 3

I am very new to this, but I've learned so much from this site. This week I will be making a whale cake using the wilton egg pan. I plan to slice the bottom at an angle so it will appear to be coming out of the water which will be a sheet cake. Do I put the whale on a cake board and set it on dowels in the sheet cake or should I push one long dowel through the whale to go the the bottom of the whole thing. Or do I need no support system at all? This is for a cake competion at our school and I don't want it to fall apart. I will be using the WASC cake recipes along with MMF and buttercream. all recipes that I have tried with success. I know this is probably a basic no brainer for you, but I'm stumped. Thanks so much.

2 replies
misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 3

i don't have the wilton egg pan so I do not know the exact size....when i look it up, it looks a lot like the size of the basetball pan, which I have used.
I would suggest putting a board under your whale for extra support andd putting some dowels under it to help held that cake up in place (to prevent sinking). You can run a dowel thru the whole thing to help hold it all in place for transprtation.

If you need some specific instructions from someone on here who has done a cake, you can search for whale in the search screen, then PM (private message) the person & ask for instructions. We have a great community here willing to share their expertise!!!!
Good luck & I hope you do well icon_smile.gif

thecook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecook Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much for the suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%