Question About Syrup?

Decorating By sasporella Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 2:02pm by Yoliebean

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 10:08am
post #1 of 12

On a few of the gallery pictures they have described the cake flavour and said that syrup was added for moistness. What is this? is it something that you buy or something that you make? Also do you add it to the cake before cooking or after it is cooked.
Thanks in advance.

11 replies
banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 10:40am
post #2 of 12

From what I can gather syrup is something that's brushed onto the cake layers to help moisten it. I think it's done before you start filling the cake and icing it.

Some use simple sugar syrup and others use all sorts of flavoured syrups. The only cake that I can think of made like this is black forest where the syrup is soaked into the layers!

What I dont understand about this practice is if you have to make a sturdier cake than regular sponge cake in order to be able to carve it or even for it just to hold the weight of fondant, then would syrup not weaken and soften the cake?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 11:13am
post #3 of 12

It's common practice to brush each layer with simple syrup, sometimes flavored with liquers, extracts. It's doesn't affect the structure of the cake unless you soak it, and does add moisture and flavor. I only have one cake flavor out of 23 offered where I don't use a simple syrup. You make it.

banba Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 12

Ok so I just tried this syrup on my cake.

I had a bottle of Grenadine Syrup and but some on my cake and let is stand for about 5 minutes and then applied my buttercream and made up the cake with the next layer.

Have to say it's yummy and moist where the syrup was spread and I will be trying this again. Thumbs up from me!

sasporella Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 12

I know it is a really daft question, but.....how would i make a syrup to use? icon_redface.gif

banba Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 12

there are some recipes in the recipe section. It's just a simple sugar syrup then flavour it with whatever you like or leave plain. It's boiled water and sugar but not sure of the ratios, just google it!

sasporella Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 6:26am
post #7 of 12

Thanks Banba, i will have a look icon_biggrin.gif

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 7:35am
post #8 of 12

I am an avid syrup user icon_smile.gif
Here's a copy-and-paste from something i posted on another thread:

Simple syrup is a made of equal amounts of sugar and water (for example a cup of each); sugar is dissolved in the water and simmered over low-medium heat until the color of the syrup is golden and it is reduced to about 2/3 to 1/2 of the original amount. It is then removed from the heat and flavored depending on the cake â most common flavoring is rum, but it can be any liquor (I love Kahlua for chocolate cake) or citrus (lemon zest, though it needs to simmer with the water/sugar and then it is strained) or I suppose any extract/essence though Iâve never used the latter. The cooled syrup is generously brushed on the each of the layers/tortes and it has the dual purpose of moistening the cake and enhancing the flavor. Then the cake is assembled as usual.

Btw, I just used the syrup from a sour cherry preserve on a chocolate cake last weekend, and it was divine⦠Will do it again!

sasporella Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 7:49am
post #9 of 12

Thanks shisharka i can't wait to try it. The cherry and chocolate sounds yummy. thumbs_up.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shisharka

I am an avid syrup user icon_smile.gif
Here's a copy-and-paste from something i posted on another thread:

Simple syrup is a made of equal amounts of sugar and water (for example a cup of each); sugar is dissolved in the water and simmered over low-medium heat until the color of the syrup is golden and it is reduced to about 2/3 to 1/2 of the original amount. It is then removed from the heat and flavored depending on the cake â most common flavoring is rum, but it can be any liquor (I love Kahlua for chocolate cake) or citrus (lemon zest, though it needs to simmer with the water/sugar and then it is strained) or I suppose any extract/essence though Iâve never used the latter. The cooled syrup is generously brushed on the each of the layers/tortes and it has the dual purpose of moistening the cake and enhancing the flavor. Then the cake is assembled as usual

Can you do this after you freeze the cakes and unthaw them??

Btw, I just used the syrup from a sour cherry preserve on a chocolate cake last weekend, and it was divine⦠Will do it again!

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:12pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Can you do this after you freeze the cakes and unthaw them??

I would think so... I've never frozen a cake, so canât speak from experience there, but as long as it behaves like a freshly-baked one after it's thawed, it should be just fine to brush on with syrup.

Yoliebean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yoliebean Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 2:02pm
post #12 of 12

I tried my first from scratch cake this weekend and brushed it with a simple syrup flavored with raspberry oil. It was good but I wasn't sure how much to put on, any advice??

What are some other good flavored syrups to use???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%