Baker's Joy Clogging Spray Nozzle....anyone Else?

Decorating By Strazle Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 5:51am by gscout73

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:45am
post #1 of 13

After taking my Wilton courses, I wanted to find something cheaper than the Cake Release spray. So, I started buying Baker's Joy. It worked well.....WHEN it would spray. I have wasted money on several cans that clog after the first few sprays. I have now switched to the Crisco brand spray and have not had this problem again. Has this happened to anyone else? I was thinking of contacting the company but wanted to be certain it wasn't just me.

12 replies
jazame17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jazame17 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:58am
post #2 of 13

Yes, in fact I just noticed last night that my can plugged up and I've only used it 3 times!!! UGGHH!!

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:06am
post #3 of 13

Yes...It happened to me too. Twice. I get down to about 1/3 left in the can and had to toss it cuz I couldn't spray it.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:08am
post #4 of 13

Yes it used to happen to me too when I left the top off. I use it all the time. But I always rinse the spray nozzle off and put the top back on. I haven't had a problem since. If you have a different can that sprays well, you can take the nozzle off and put it on the can that doesn't spray and it will work. Hope this helps.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:17am
post #5 of 13

Me too!!!..Is been happening to me lately..It sucks!!
What I been doing it running it under hot water. It helps!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:20am
post #6 of 13

It happened to me too. I tried unclogging it with a toothpick, but it didn't work. I wound up tossing it and it was still about 1/2 full.

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:21am
post #7 of 13

I had the same problem as well a while back. I did contact the company and they sent me a coupon for a free can....that did the same thing!!! I tried washing it, different nozzles (I had bought 2-3 cans at once) and nothing worked. Each of the cans that I had would spray enough to cover one pan and then quit. I now buy Crisco and I haven't had a problem since.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:24am
post #8 of 13

I bought it once because it was cheaper.

Um, well...if it hadn't been for the fact that I was trying to stay ahead of schedule and every minute was important, I might have given it another chance. I made sure I was regularly shaking the can...it started spitting and sputtering...a couple of little squirts and it was clogged...I put it to the side, continued on with my regular brand(never had a problem with it...thought I would save a few cent is all). After all was delivered and I returned to get everything back to square one, I took that can of "stuff"(that ain't the word I used to describe it during my crunch time though), rinsed the nozzle thoroughly with really warm water. I replaced it and it worked great again. I really just wanted to be sure what had happened and when what I thought to be the problem was proven, I said a few words and threw it in the trash. I don't even look at any other brand from the grocery store. From then on, I'll either order pan release by the case or use the Wilton brand spray release.

Chrisl121070 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisl121070 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 13

One thing I did notice, is that if the nozzle gets turned a certain way, it won't spray. I KNEW mine wasn't clogged, but it wouldn't spray, so I turned the nozzle a little bit at a time and kept trying to spray until it worked. Then I marked that spot on the can in case it turns again!

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 11:35pm
post #10 of 13

Well, thanks for your input gang! I thing I will contact them because we are just a small sample of the general public and have the same issue. I don't think they are all that concerned with function but I'll give it a go for all of us.....I will be sticking with the Crisco spray. I'd rather pay a little more then have to "fix" what shouldn't be broken and raise my blood pressure. LOL

bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:40am
post #11 of 13

I make my own cake release, it is cheaper and I never have a problem with the nozzle not working. I spread in my pans with a pastry brush. This is how you make it. 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 cup vegetable oil, 1 cup crisco. Put everything in your bowl and mix on low speed till smooth. You store it in a covered container in the cupboard.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:48am
post #12 of 13

I run it under hot water...seems to help!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:51am
post #13 of 13

YES!!!!!!! And I've been using since it first came out on the market. I've never had a problem until recently. I've actually had new, full cans just stop spraying icon_mad.gif And it does not seem to be the tip because I have changed the cap from one can to another and it appears to be in the valve. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%