World Series Trophy Cake

Decorating By txgracefully Updated 5 May 2008 , 2:16am by txgracefully

txgracefully Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txgracefully Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:27am
post #1 of 8

I was asked to make a World Series Trophy cake. Do any of you have any suggestions? Here is a picture I found on the internet.
Thanks
LL

7 replies
ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:42am
post #2 of 8

Does it have to all be edible?
I'd use skinny dowels and put fondant flags on the top. The base could then be a round layer.
Airbrush everything silver.
I'm not sure about the details in the middle. I need to check out a bigger picture.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:11am
post #3 of 8

I think I would do a round for the cake and not sure what I'd use to do the domed baseball on top of it. I think I would do the gold ring around it with the flags as a separate piece to be placed over the baseball dome.

Wikepedia gives a good picture and also an excellent description.

The current trophy, which was redesigned slightly in 1999 and made by Tiffany & Co., is 24 inches tall, excluding the base, and 11 inches around. It weighs approximately 30 pounds and is made of sterling silver. The trophy features 30 gold-plated, hand-furled flags, one for each of the Major League teams, which rise above an arched silver ox baseball with latitude and longitude lines that symbolize the world. The baseball also contains 24-karat vermeil baseball stitches. The baseball itself weighs over 10 pounds. The base contains an inscription and the signature of the commissioner. It has an estimated value of $15,000. It was presented for the first time at the conclusion of the 2000 World Series, which was won by the New York Yankees.
LL

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 8

For the domed part, could you purposefully bake a cake that will dome nicely? Use that like any other layer. Cover it in fondant like any other layer. I'd try to get a nice, dense cake, though because that would end up being a thin section around the edges.

I'm excited to see the end result!

txgracefully Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juds2323

I think I would do a round for the cake and not sure what I'd use to do the domed baseball on top of it. I think I would do the gold ring around it with the flags as a separate piece to be placed over the baseball dome.

Wikepedia gives a good picture and also an excellent description.

The current trophy, which was redesigned slightly in 1999 and made by Tiffany & Co., is 24 inches tall, excluding the base, and 11 inches around. It weighs approximately 30 pounds and is made of sterling silver. The trophy features 30 gold-plated, hand-furled flags, one for each of the Major League teams, which rise above an arched silver ox baseball with latitude and longitude lines that symbolize the world. The baseball also contains 24-karat vermeil baseball stitches. The baseball itself weighs over 10 pounds. The base contains an inscription and the signature of the commissioner. It has an estimated value of $15,000. It was presented for the first time at the conclusion of the 2000 World Series, which was won by the New York Yankees.

Thanks for all the info. They want it to be the exact size icon_surprised.gif . I am planning to use wooden dowels for the flag polls painted (silver), gumpaste for the flags in gold, I want to try working with pulled sugar. Here is my chance I want to make the baseball in sugar by blowing a sugar ball then cut in have and place on to a mold to harden. Once harden then with a hot knife make my latitude and lonitude lines. icon_eek.gif . I am really looking forward to it. The order is for May 2. What do you all think?
I welcome all the ideas.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 8

Wow, sounds good to me. I can't wait to see it.

txgracefully Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

Wow, sounds good to me. I can't wait to see it.

I can't wait to start working on it myself.

txgracefully Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:16am
post #8 of 8

Cake is done look at my photos!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%