I Officially Closed My Business.

Decorating By kathik Updated 16 Apr 2008 , 2:44pm by kathik

kathik Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:55am
post #1 of 19

I know I have been missing in action lately. I apologize to those who pm'ed me about Passover recipes, I think I answered them all now.

I officially closed my business at the end of March icon_sad.gif and I didn't have the heart to come on the board or even upload my last cakes. Hopefully over the next few weeks I can do that.

This business was just not working in this area, even with branching out into gluten free items and advertising about being dairy free. The consistent feedback was that my prices were just too high (and I never made more than $3.00 an hour at my highest). I had hoped that my High Priest Bar Mitzvah cake would give me a lot of opportunites since it was on display at the local country club and over 300 people, most fairly well to do, were there to see it. Everyone oohed and ahhhed and told me how wonderful it tasted, how amazing it looked, etc., etc., etc., but it brought in no orders! Well, at least I went out with a bang! I think the fact that the cake was clearly my best design work is the only thing that has kept me from feeling like a complete failure. At this point only my 3 most faithful customers even noticed I closed, so obviously the community didn't really need a custom kosher or dairy free baker. My only hope would have been to mass produce my items and that is not possible in my current home with home sized equipment.

I will still hang around the board because I love cake decorating. And now I can focus on doing cakes for close friends and FUN.

I just thought I'd post an update for anyone who is curious. Thanks for all the support you guys have always offered!

18 replies
MichelleM77 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:31am
post #2 of 19

OMG I can't believe you posted this because I was just thinking the other day, maybe even yesterday, that I hadn't seen you on CC lately.

I wish you luck in whatever you do, and I hope you do stick around CC! You certainly are an inspiration and you definitely educated me in "parve pleasures!"

JanH Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:51am
post #3 of 19

Kathi, you've always been an inspiration to me. icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:46am
post #4 of 19

I'm so sorry that this happened, but maybe one day there will be a better market for your obvious talent.

justducky Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 19

I am glad you are staying onboard, you have so much to offer! I think you have great product ideas and your niche will be missed in your community.
Keep baking and thanks for sharing!

kneadacookie Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 19

that's really too bad! i hope we still get to see more of your wonderful work!!

grama_j Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:39pm
post #7 of 19

Were you doing JUST Parve, or was that an added feature of your business ? I'm so sorry things didn't work out..... it must mean that the Lord has something else in mind for you .... Hang in there

mgdqueen Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 19

So sorry things didn't work out the way you wanted them to Kathi. I know you really struggled with making this work and also making the decision. Just know you have many people that glad you are here and it simply wasn't the right time. Things happen for a reason and yours is just around the corner. thumbs_up.gif

suz3 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:51pm
post #9 of 19

I am so sorry to hear about your business closing. That is exactly what keeps me from trying to have a business. Everyone says "you should sell that" but no one ever calls to order. I know that I have a good product but I'm not sure that is all that it takes. I am sure that there is something special for you in the future. Now you will be available for it. Good Luck!!

TheButterWench Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 19

In light of the current financial state of things be glad that you didn't have a shop, employees and all that to walk away from.

Having a business is scary. Being strong enough to close is even scarier.

if you enjoy doing what you do and you have these 3 customers then by all means do it for them and your personal enjoyment.

I saw that cake, I just about fell over.

You will be surprised, it may have not brought you any business but I'm sure that all a sudden you will get a call out of no where and before you know it you will be baking again.

What scares me is that you're like the 3rd or 4th person that has come in to announce they closed shop.

I just opened mine.

Starkie Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:56pm
post #11 of 19

Kathi, I am so sorry to hear this!!! It was so comforting to know that there was a fellow CCer in the neighborhood (I am just down the highway in Smithfield), and I always enjoyed looking at your work. I am so sorry that the folks in Raleigh don't recognize your talent!

God has a plan for you. Just listen to Him with all your heart, and He will lead you in the right direction!

Bless you,

kathik Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:00pm
post #12 of 19

Thank you for your support, everyone!

suz3, yes, I know exactly what you mean. Maybe at one time talent and determination were all that was needed to make a business work, but it doesn't seem that way anymore. icon_confused.gif When a person can walk into a WalMart or grocery store and purchase a decent looking cake for a low price, it can be hard for them to accept paying a premium price, even though the product is of a premium quality. And with the economy doing so poorly, people seem more likely to buy something to "make do" than to buy a fantastic item. I think if you can include Wedding Cakes in your business you have a better shot. Even though brides complain and try to scrimp and save (don't we all!), they also know they are going to spend a lot on a wedding cake and they usually budget it in. icon_smile.gif Unfortunately, as an Orthodox Jew I cannot conduct any business from Friday night through Saturday nights, so here in North Carolina that leaves me out of the wedding cake business.

Thanks Starkie. I'm not going anywhere and I'll ALWAYS be a CC'er!! icon_lol.gif How could I ever leave you guys for good? If I hadn't been distracted by sewing diapers and then planning and hosting a baby shower for a friend's daughter, not to mention prepping for Passover next week, I'm sure I would have been back sooner.

grama_j, yes all my items were parve (non-dairy). This was the only way the local Orthodox Rabbi could supervise my kitchen. He is part of a group that only uses certain types of dairy, and therefore he is actually not allowed (according to his supervising Rabbi) to certify people who use dairy products that do not follow that strict level, even though they are kosher. icon_mad.gif That was one of the challenges I had to deal with, and, which probably helped lead to my demise here. icon_rolleyes.gif For example, everytime I needed semisweet chocolate (not chips), I had to order it and pay shipping, or pay a premium price IF I could find it locally, because 98% of the semisweet chocolate out there is either dairy or wasn't kosher. This is just one ingredient of many that was an issue, so of course, my product was more expensive. My costs were higher, before I even starting baking.

At any rate, I love baking, I love cake decorating and I love CC and everyone, so you can't get rid of me that easily!! icon_razz.gif

Thanks again for all the encouragement,

beachcakes Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:53am
post #13 of 19

Kathi, I'm so sorry it didn't work out right now. Maybe the time just wasn't right. I remember your High Priest cake - it was awesome!

indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:57am
post #14 of 19

Here's another vote for glad you're still around. I've been so educated from your posts.

tonedna Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:03am
post #15 of 19

Oh kathi...I am so sorry.!!...{{{{hugssssss}}}}}

nelja5 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #16 of 19

I am so sorry it did not work out!

kathik Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:26pm
post #17 of 19

Thanks! I appreciate the thoughts. I think I have accepted it at this point. I'm just going to work on enjoying cake making from now on.

AJsGirl Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 2:03pm
post #18 of 19

Kathi, I don't know you, but I have to say, I made a kosher wedding cake once, and it was no joke! Finding ingredients was hard and expensive, and all the extra work was incredible! I won't do it again, I don't know how I survived it! So basically, I just wanted to say I respect you, and I'm sorry about the shop. icon_sad.gif

kathik Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 2:44pm
post #19 of 19

Thank you, AJsGirl, I appreciate the thoughts! Yes, it requires a completely different way of thinking, shopping and baking! At least it wasn't Passover. I am making an engagement cake for a friend's son next week and trying to create a beautiful, elegant cake during Passover is no easy task!

Thanks again,

Quote by @%username% on %date%