What Should I Do?

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 3:39am by sweetneice

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:57am
post #1 of 11

Hello All! I had a bride contact me about doing a cake for next month. She saw me at the bridal show and wanted to know if I would do her cake for her. It's a 5 tier cake that includes dummies with a simple scroll design. Well........ I told her we could meet today at 10am and she agreed.
I called to confirm on yesterday and received no answer. I got up early and called around 8:30 only to hear: Oh... I was busy and it got late so I didn't call to tell you my mom and aunt said it was too early. We can meet, and then, you can come back and meet with my mom and aunt later today! Or would you like to do it all at once?!

What!! Oh yeah, I would love to meet with you, go back across town and waste large amounts of gas only to drive back again for your family meeting......for free! I felt like it was inconsiderate that she didn't call and tell me that she couldn't make it. She wants to meet with me on Tuesday, but I'm irritated with them already. This is the 2nd time she's rescheduled and is so sorry she has to keep rescheduling. Should I even deal with this order? What would you do? icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
ReesesCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReesesCupcakes Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:59am
post #2 of 11

I would RUN! I had someone that I called to remind of their tasting appt the day before her appt and spoke directly to her. She said, I'll see you tomorrow, and I NEVER saw her. She didn't call, didn't email, nothing.

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:04am
post #3 of 11

I can understand have to rescheduling once, stuff comes up, we've all been there. But twice? And then to say, oh I can meet with you, and then you can come back and meet with my family? No way! I think you're going to be better off without her! It will probably always be this way, and it will only be aggravating - not sure if it would be worth it.

c420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c420 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:07am
post #4 of 11

I would reconsider whether taking this cake would be so wise. She may be a pain to work with if this is how she's treating it to begin with. If it's worth it to you get every detail IN WRITING! This way no changing of the mind or my mother or aunt this or that. If it's not worth it I would just cancel on her and say that you aren't able to do it after all.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:10am
post #5 of 11

I would try to explain the process to her. Maybe they just don't realize all the trouble they would be putting you to for free and just don't realize your time is valuable. I know when I was planning my wedding I didn't realize that not everyone is on the same schedule as me and sometimes was too busy to think and kept having to change my mind on things.

staceyssweettreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyssweettreats Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:11am
post #6 of 11

I agree with the others. I'm not sure I would take this order. Since she keeps changing and doesn't have the courtesy to call. I'm sure she would be very upset if something came up the day of her wedding and you didn't call... Maybe 1 final time on Tuesday and let her know that you only do one meeting so anyone who would like to attend would need to come to that one meeting. And if it is not convenient for mom and aunt, so be it...

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:13am
post #7 of 11

Nope, rudeness! Don't do it, if you afford not to. I lost a bride just like this, this week she did a no show...I had an entire day of tastings planned and a gourmet sampler...her "oops" just cost me $, and the time another bride could have taken. I emailed her that I could not get her in till May, and she said she decided to go with her caterer. I felt kinda sorry for the caterer icon_smile.gif This lady was whacky! BUT, about an hour ago I had a bride's mother call and is handling everything as her daughter is getting her masters and is swamped till the fall icon_sad.gif She booked and paid the security deposit for a 200 guest wedding sight unseen, but by word of mouth from another bride-no tasting NOTHING. Some things are just meant to be icon_smile.gif There are bigger-better brides out there icon_smile.gif

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:22am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

I felt like it was inconsiderate that she didn't call and tell me that she couldn't make it. She wants to meet with me on Tuesday, but I'm irritated with them already. This is the 2nd time she's rescheduled and is so sorry she has to keep rescheduling. Should I even deal with this order? What would you do?

Sounds to me that you are understandably irritated and put-off by this person. What's your gut telling you to do?

From my perspective, that person was incredibly rude and I would take her behaviour as a sign of her being a major PITA. I would not work with her.

sweetneice Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:24am
post #9 of 11

Thanks guys! Now I don't feel like I'm crazy for being so irritated with this lady! I'm really considering telling her I can't meet on Tuesday. icon_biggrin.gif I'm glad I'm not the only one who's had to deal with someone like this. This is the first time I've ever dealt with anyone like this.

DebraJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebraJ Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:25am
post #10 of 11

My advice is to run!!! This woman is showing you just how little she values your time. I got involved with a woman and her mother years ago when I agreed to help a co-worker and do a last minute wedding cake for her friend. It was the worst experience I'd ever had with a bride and her mother. The bride loved the finished wedding cake. Her mother wanted to make last minute changes (the Friday before the wedding). I told her that it couldn't be done, and she wanted me to scrape the frosting off and redo it (after all of the decorations were already on the cake). I refused. She continued to try to bully me over the phone so I stopped answering my phone and just delivered the cake as originally planned that Saturday afternoon. Then at the last minute (as I was leaving), they wanted me to stay to cut the cake. I told them that wasn't agreed upon in advance and that I could not stay. NO WAY I thought. Needless to say, I wouldn't even go back to retrieve my separator plates after that wedding.

sweetneice Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:39am
post #11 of 11

Wow! That sounds terrible! I agree that this is a pre cursor to how the whole process is going to go. I especially didn't like the fact that it is a last minute order and when she was making the first cancelled appointment, she wanted it on a day I wasn't available, but proceeded to tell me: We really do need to meet as soon as possible. Like it's my problem! You're cancelling, not me! UHHHHH, so irritating. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%