Anyone Make Bulk Quantities Of Icing/fondant? How To Store??

Business By chatnoir5638 Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 6:00pm by chatnoir5638

chatnoir5638 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chatnoir5638 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:50am
post #1 of 4

Just wondering if anyone makes bulk icing/fondant. It seems like it would be smart for me to do that, but how to store and for how long? What do you guys do?

Also, what are your schedules like if you have no cakes in the pipeline? What I mean is, do you say...well I do buttercream on Mondays and RI or gumpaste flowers on Tuesdays, etc. or do you just do them as you need them?

3 replies
Lil_Belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Belle Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:14am
post #2 of 4

I make mmf and then just refrigerate it for up to two weeks (so far) it's a pain to make so I make like 5 batches at once.

I make RI flowers and then just save then until I need them, as long as there's no water or moisture around, they're ok icon_smile.gif

HTH!!

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 4

i make bulk amounts of BC, usually 50-75 lbs a week. i make it on monday or tuesday and use it up by fri/sat. if theres any left over (if there is its usually a small amount) i just use it first the next week. because its gone with in a week i just store it in large food containers that i bought at a restaurant supply. if i were keeping it around for longer i would store it in the walk in, for up to 2-3 weeks. it will freeze nicely for 1-2 months.

chatnoir5638 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chatnoir5638 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%