Edible Image Printer

Decorating By fearlessbaker Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 11:01pm by Chrisl121070

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 41

From what I read the edible image printer always has to be plugged into your compurter; right? So how do you get around that issue if you use your printer for printing all the time. Is there such a edible image printer that all-in-one so that you don't have to plug into your computer? Thanks

40 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:20am
post #2 of 41

I have an epson all in one. If you have a router you can use more then one printer.

fearlessbaker Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:41am
post #3 of 41

Tiggy2, Thanks. Where did you get yours?

CakesbyJam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyJam Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:41am
post #4 of 41

Not quite sure what you are asking. Are you asking about having 2 printers? I have 2 printers. I only plug in my "edible" printer when I want to use it. My printer for decorating is in my kitchen, while my regular printer is in the office.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:47am
post #5 of 41

I have 2 printers I have both connected to my computer hubby has it set up so it asks you which printer you want to use when I push the print button a little window pops up and ask which printer to print on I have the Epson for my imaging and a HP for my office printing

Molly2 icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:51am
post #6 of 41

You know a thread about edible images wouldn't be complete without my big mouth! icon_lol.gif

I keep my edible image printer in the kitchen on a rolling cart (the same cart I use to take pix) when it's time to use it, I simply take my laptop into the kitchen, slide out the printer, plug in the USB and power cords, print the image, then turn it all off and slide it back in the cart. Very simple. I didn't want to plug it all in to the router in the office, I'd rather keep it in the kitchen where I use it. That's just me though. There is no need for it to be plugged in all the time!

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:01am
post #7 of 41

I have the same set-up as Molly. No conflicts whatsoever!

ReesesCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReesesCupcakes Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:04am
post #8 of 41

This is great information. I'm thinking about getting one. Not to hijack the thread, but is there a certain one you all would recommend?

Melvira Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:04am
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReesesCupcakes

This is great information. I'm thinking about getting one. Not to hijack the thread, but is there a certain one you all would recommend?

I use the Canon PixmaIP 6000D and haven't had one lick of trouble with it.

CakesbyJam Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #10 of 41

I have an Epson C88+...love it!...no clogs!

Linliv46 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:18am
post #11 of 41

Angela here is a link, now I have never ordered here but this is the printer I got from Amazon and theirs comes with the edible ink tanks. Like I said I have never ordered here but looks like a good buy! I was just looking at the softwear!
http://deco.uk.com/shop/Printers/c4/index.html?osCsid=9d97df90d3c3cb2b2250fb8e604abdbf

Molly2 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:20am
post #12 of 41

I just received mine ask me in about a month

Molly icon_smile.gif

Molly2 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:31am
post #13 of 41

Sorry I have a Epson CX8400

Molly

Linliv46 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:32am
post #14 of 41

Forget the link I just gave, evidently they don't ship to the US. I tried to register & it does not have that option in the drop-down! icon_rolleyes.gif

fearlessbaker Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:59pm
post #15 of 41

Thanks Everyone, This was a great help. We have a large kitchen with our home office in it and that computer is not available all the time. I think having the rolling cart for it is a great idea. this was a lot of help. Now i hve to decide if I what I want the most right now, the edible printer or the small tempuring machine.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:19pm
post #16 of 41

Yep, I do the same as Molly2. I do turn my edible on off until I want to use it though. Mine is a Canon ip3500. I just recently got it at Office Depot for $80 and then it had a $20 rebate.

Melvira Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:25pm
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessbaker

...Now i hve to decide if I what I want the most right now, the edible printer or the small tempuring machine.

Printer, printer, printer, (come on everyone, join the chant!) printer, printer! icon_lol.gif

fearlessbaker Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:39pm
post #18 of 41

Well, I apologize for being a little behind with all of this. The ones I have been looking at when I search just for edible image printers cost at least a few hundred dollars. They seem to come with supplies and I think even a CD to get started. But now from what I understand just a regular printer will do but it must be used just for edible images. Can you also get all the inks and papers from tthe office supply stores or not. Which is the best way to go? What is the learning curve. I am going to be having some surgery and will be done for about 2 weeks. But I want to make a retro cake for someone who is turning 60 and cookies. Thought this would be a fabulous and eye-popping way to go. Thanks

casey48 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casey48 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #19 of 41

I have had a Canon MX700 for about 3 months and I really love it - no trouble at all. I have a question about what software to use with the frosting circles. My husband is the computer nerd and does all my printing. I have computer issues! He has no trouble scanning pictures and cards in, but recently I wanted some circles printed and we can't find a template to use. I think he has used Photo print and the Kopycake software - he doesn't like Kopycake at all - not enought options I think. What are you guys using that you can color correct and make other corrections in?

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:45pm
post #20 of 41

I got my printer an Epson at an office supply shop very cheaply. I get my edible inks and paper from Kopy Kake.

I'm also looking to get a wide format printer.

The set up is over 600 dollars but just getting the printer is 274.00

Melvira Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:47pm
post #21 of 41

fearlessbaker, don't get suckered into buying one of those systems! All you need is a compatible printer (yes, that is ONLY used for edible images). You can figure out what is compatible by going to www.icingimages.com and clicking on the link for edible image supplies. There will be a drop down list that tells you what printers they make cartridges for. That is where I buy all my supplies, they even have a starter kit that has inks, cleaning cartridges, and an assortment of paper, or you can buy everything seperately! If you need any help let me know and I'll try to talk you through it!!

casey48 I use Microsoft Publisher to do about 99% of my printing. I don't like the KopyKake program because I feel like it doesn't let me have any design freedom. Publisher is a great product, but if you want something really cheap, you can use ANY program like it... you can buy software are WalMart for $10 or so that will do all the things you need! If you want some examples, let me know! I'll help you with that!

CakesbyJam Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:40pm
post #22 of 41

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=582492&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Here is another post going on that is called Edible Imagining and help..you might find some info that could be helpful.

I use Edible Artist..it is from the UK..free download..but sometimes I have trouble because of Vista, even though they say it is Vista compatible. http://deco.uk.com/

I would love to try different software but am afraid it wouldn't be centered on the frosting sheets. I buy my inks and frosting sheets from Kopykake.

Melvira Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:59pm
post #23 of 41

I actually made my own templates on Pulisher to make sure that everything is centered correctly. I just used the drawing tool to draw the outline on the screen in the right place, then saved that as a template. Each time I use it, I design inside that 'printable' area, then click on the outline and delete it. It's super easy that way, and I know it will fit on the page!

Linliv46 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 6:08pm
post #24 of 41

Melvira, you might have to do a tutorial on this, I haven't strayed away from the Kopykake softwear yet but your idea sounds soo interesting! I did look at the deco softwear yesterday but I guess I am having some "senior" moments this weekend! Just too much going on with cupcakes and edible images too! LOL I love all these tips!
Linda

Molly2 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 6:19pm
post #25 of 41

Melvira

Please do a tutorial on this I just bought a EPSON CX8400 hubby set it up for me yesterday I would love to know how to save money on this. Not much info is given on this everything that I've learned I've learn on this site I did buy my sugar sheets and ink from Kopykakes but I didn't know you can only use their software only a number of times (something thats not told to you)
anyway please do a tutorial it would really help a lot of us.
Molly2 icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:30pm
post #26 of 41

What are you looking for a tutorial on? I'd be happy to do it if I know what info you're looking for! If you could give me an idea of what you'd like covered, I can at least do an informal one in the forums.

Linliv46 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:42pm
post #27 of 41

Well. Melvira what I have on my computer is Microsoft Works, PSP, Print Shop 22(this is a new one--don't have any clue about it yet) so would I be able to do the template in one of those like you are talking about for an edible image? I may have a copy of the Publisher here somewhere. I don't know a lot about any of these! hahahaha!!!!
Linda

Melvira Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:51pm
post #28 of 41

You should be abel to do it in any program that has a drawing tool. Even Word has one I believe. All you need to do is use the rulers on the side of the screen for placement. (If you can't see your ruler, you need to make it visible. In Word for example, you click 'View' then 'Ruler'.) Then you simply draw the shape of the edible paper and place it in the right area of the screen. For example, if you are doing the small 'cupcake' circles... are they 2" across, or the 2.5"? Make a circle of that size, then line it up on the page. If you need to measure your edible paper to see how far to put it from the side, then do that. When you get the shapes on the page exactly where you think they go, print it out and hold it up to the actual edible page and make sure they are in the right place. If they are a little off, simply move them as needed. It only takes a few minutes to do this, but then you have a template that will give you complete creative control! Be sure to save it as your template, and every time you use it, (what I normally do) is so a "save as" *name of project* before making any changes, that way you don't accidentally make permanent changes to your original template.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:00pm
post #29 of 41

I just got an Canon IP3500 from Amazon.com great price and I love it.

Chrisl121070 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisl121070 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:13pm
post #30 of 41

ok, so I think I'm going to get the Canon IP3500. There are some good prices on ebay. icon_smile.gif

What is the difference in the edible ink prices? Kopykake has them for that printer for $50, and Icingimages has them for $100 ... why the huge variance in price??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%