Sugar As A Preservative

Decorating By Cassie6140 Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 6:13pm by Mae1118

Cassie6140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie6140 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 8

I read somewhere that sugar "preserves" a buttercream frosting i.e., the cake can be left "out" and not refrigerated. True? Thanks for your help. Cassie

7 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 8

i have also read this on other cake sites... i do believe it is true.... if you use milk or whipping cream in your icing, the sugar preserves that along with using butter in your recipe. i know someone will give you better details than i can.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 8

I have heard it before as well - I have to email my Food Safety teach a few questions - that is one of them. How long can I leave out a cake that has been frosted and "fondanted". I will let you know when I hear back from her.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie6140

I read somewhere that sugar "preserves" a buttercream frosting i.e., the cake can be left "out" and not refrigerated. True? Thanks for your help. Cassie

If you're referring to the tiny amounts of milk or cream used in American b/c recipes, you're correct.

I have provided information that sugar is hygroscopic (or moisture absorbing) so it can be used to alter the "water activity" in American b/c made with cream cheese:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-582086-.html

Not being a food scientist, I wouldn't attempt to "doctor" a perishable cake frosting or filling recipe with sugar to make it shelf stable.

For example, adding a little extra powdered sugar to a basic whipped cream frosting IS NOT going to make it shelf stable.

Speaking in generalities, is probably not a good idea when it involves food safety issues. For example, the stable cream cheese frosting recipe I posted may be vastly different from yours; so the results of not refrigerating yours could be disastrous.

If you have questions about a specific recipe, please post it, and I'm sure you'll get responses. icon_smile.gif

Edited to fix broken link.

Cassie6140 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie6140

Love the quick responses. I'm using a buttercream recipe, a combination of shortening and butter, I found the recipe "Crusting Buttercream Icing (Viva Method) on this site. The only change I've made to it is to add milk (at most 1/3rd cup) rather than water. I'm not using cream cheese, or whipping cream. It sounds as though you agree that it is safe to leave out for a couple of days?? Once more, thank you for your help.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 8

Your recipe should be fine. icon_smile.gif

However, using milk or another liquid with fat can affect the crusting (the more fat, the less crusting).

HTH

Cassie6140 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Your recipe should be fine. icon_smile.gif

However, using milk or another liquid with fat can affect the crusting (the more fat, the less crusting).

HTH

Help? It's more than I asked. Now I know that I can have the cake on the counter for a day and feel secure about it, AND that I should use water instead of milk for a better crusting effect. Thank you so much, Jan, there is something to learn everyday and this is the site from which to learn. Cassie

Mae1118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae1118 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for pointing me in a useful direction i.e., searching for refrigeration... I used to read info on 911, but gave it up when the cost was instituted. I feel more comfortable going ahead with my baking now. Cassie

No problem! I would love to know if you find some more concrete info on this topic. I am so sad I can't look at the info on 911 anymore. I wish I would have copied those posts when I had the chance! -Anne

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%