Crumbs Crumbs And More Crumbs!

Decorating By deld Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 9:18am by nanny4

deld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deld Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 11

What am I doing wrong? everytime I ice a cake with bc the crumbs seem to go all over the place, I usually bake my cakes, let them cool and ice them, I have tried doing a crumb coat but I still get some crumbs on my icing, I want it to look crumb free!!! especially with chocolate cakes.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!
D

10 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 11

chocolate cakes are a major pain.

for me...

step 1 -- use a pastry brush to brush off all the crumbs I can from the cake, the cake board (my mouth icon_rolleyes.gif -- joking!) etc.

step 2 -- crumb coat --- a little thicker for chocolate -- using the large icing tip (#789)

step 3 -- after crumb coat has hardened -- then final coat again w/ the icing tip.

step 4 -- smooth -- right now I use the warm spatula method

that icing tip helps a lot!

klacrawford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klacrawford Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 11

One thing my mom taught me(she has worked in a bakery for 11 years) is to not pick up my spatula when applying the icing. I only pick it up to add more, if you use small or long strokes and avoid picking up the spatula it wont pull the cake crumbs in the icing.

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 11

I tend to have the most trouble when I'm frosting a cake or a part of the cake that has been cut. For whatever reason, even if I do a crumb coat and I go back with the final coat, I find that the frosting will want to peel off.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:07am
post #5 of 11

I have managed to almost completely avoid this problem by using the cake icer tip. I find that it puts just the right amount of icing on a cake. There's enough to allow you to skim some off in the smoothing process while still leaving enough to have a nicely iced cake. Because you put the icing on with a tip that never touches the cake, you don't ever stir up any crumbs. Once the icing is on the cake, you just smooth it gently from there, without any reason to touch the actual cake (no crumbs!). Never had a problem with crumbs since I started using it.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:25am
post #6 of 11

i agree with tracey...the icing tip works great! icon_biggrin.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:29am
post #7 of 11

i agree with tracey...the icing tip works great! icon_biggrin.gif

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:53am
post #8 of 11

I used the icing tip once and found that I went through a lot more icing then I would normally use to ice a cake... Is that normal?

I've been fairly lucky I guess, I just ice and make sure the spatula never comes in direct contact with the cake, just icing! Apply icing liberally, then scrape off excess. icon_smile.gif

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:01am
post #9 of 11

Chocolate cakes are always a PITA! I have the hardest time icing them because of the crumbs. I need to get one of those icing tips.

deld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deld Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:57am
post #10 of 11

thank you so much for the tips, I will try the 789 tip and see what happens icon_smile.gif, whats the warm spatula method?

nanny4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanny4 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 9:18am
post #11 of 11

I love the big tip 789 too, it really works a lot better for me. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%