Confused On Ri.. Saftey, Storage ..etc.. ??'s

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 16 Apr 2008 , 6:25am by KathysCC

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 23

Ok let me explain... I have worked with it before but have never had to store it... this time instead, for some WEIRD reason I made a FULL batch without thinking... I don't need that much (good golly what was I thinking?) ... so since I can't ICE with it LOL how do I store this much and how long will it last?

Refrigerate or not? How long will it last outside of the fridge and what do you NOT put it on that would cause it to break down...

Sorry so many dumb ??'s but if ya don't ask... ya don't learn icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Christi

22 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 23

It can be stored at room temp for short periods (like a week). I prefere to have it in glass w/a very tight fitting lid.
Are there flowers you can make to keep on hand? Yah, I know, you'd probably would prefere to have b'c flowers but maybe some daffs; lilies, petunias or such would be nice. Mini ranuckulas (sp???) are easy to make w/a super big leaf tip.
Or you can make run-sugar (colorflo) plaques that you can use for writing messages, names etc. Make some weird shapes to be 'taking' bubbles like in cartoons.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 23

i've frozen it in the past -- in plastic tub w/ plastic wrap pushed down tight on surface to get out all air

thaw covered.

whip

use

wgoat5 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 23

thank you all icon_smile.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 23

sorry to hijack, but when you use RI to make flowers, plaques, etc.. once dry, how long will they last?

Doug Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 23

need 6 beige lilies? I've got some leftover from my Course 2 class that I took 3 years ago.

(shows how often I do RI flowers!)

butterflywings Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 23

3 yrs, WOW! are they really still edible?? LOL

Doug Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

3 yrs, WOW! are they really still edible?? LOL

eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww! ICK!

i've never considered RI as edible (ok...when I was a kid and ate the candy dots on the adding machine paper) even tho technically it is.

since these have the fake stamens in them -- no not edible....but if they didn't, there are kids out there foolish enough to eat them.

---

PS -- just ate the one lone leftover apple blossom (bright pink of course) that was made at the same times as the lilies.

I repeat

eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! ICK!

-- tastes just as bad now as it did when I first made them. (yep, sampled them back then too.) and I even go to the trouble to add flavorings to my RI -- and still can't find any I like!

butterflywings Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:55pm
post #9 of 23

LOL -- I LOVE the candy dots! My boys recently got some and I'd forgotten how fun it is to pull off the candy, lick the paper that always sticks and then eat them... don't you have to eat like the whole streamer of paper to really feel like you've eaten something! LOL

and in all seriousness, i might be able to use those lilies. could you post a pic?

Doug Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:07pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

LOL -- I LOVE the candy dots! My boys recently got some and I'd forgotten how fun it is to pull off the candy, lick the paper that always sticks and then eat them... don't you have to eat like the whole streamer of paper to really feel like you've eaten something! LOL

and in all seriousness, i might be able to use those lilies. could you post a pic?

will post pic when I remember to bring my camera home from school (where it lives so the Journalism class can use it for the school newspaper!) (that's right -- have a BASIC cellphone -- no camera on it!)

just how far away from Lumberton are you?

butterflywings Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:12pm
post #11 of 23

about 2 1/2 hrs, i think... i'm just outside of charlotte, in concord (about 5 minutes from Lowe's Motorspeedway - thus the Nascarville location LOL)

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:27pm
post #12 of 23

When I store royal icing, I cover it with a damp paper towel, then plastic wrap, and secure it with a rubber band and throw it in the fridge. It's got raw egg whites in it, I would never keep it out. Ewwwww.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:29pm
post #13 of 23

my instructor told me RI flowers and all last forever. but i was told not to freeze or refrigerate and it lasts for up to 2 weeks if kept tightly sealed. hth

Doug Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:35pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

When I store royal icing, I cover it with a damp paper towel, then plastic wrap, and secure it with a rubber band and throw it in the fridge. It's got raw egg whites in it, I would never keep it out. Ewwwww.

i made mine w/ the merrange powder which is pasteurized and therefore not a health issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetofrost

my instructor told me RI flowers and all last forever. but i was told not to freeze or refrigerate and it lasts for up to 2 weeks if kept tightly sealed. hth

i was told not to freeze it to -- but I'm a boy -- so did I listen -- no.
i'd made way more than I needed so I did what my mom always did -- froze it.

seemed none the worse for wear when thawed still covered in the refrigerator and then whipped up in the KA

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:03am
post #15 of 23

I make mine with meringue powder and store it in the fridge in a plastic covered bowl. It will sometimes separate if left for a long time but I have used mine up to 2 months later and it still works fine. If it has some crusting on the sides I throw it away.

I have RI flowers that are 7 years old stored in plastic containers. They still look fine and are probably edible, though I wouldn't eat them. I've used year old RI flowers on cakes. Once dried and if stored properly they probably last forever.

wgoat5 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:18am
post #16 of 23

I tried the storing it with a damp (NEW) cloth on it .. and in two days it STUNK and I threw it away icon_sad.gif

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:51am
post #17 of 23

My instructor told us that the flowers last pretty much indefinitely. Just store them where they aren't really exposed to heat, ie not on top of the microwave or fridge. If I remember correct as long as you use the meriguine powder keep it in an air tight container I do not believe if I remember correctly that you actually need to put it in the fridge. Keep an eye on it as it may begin to separate.

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 5:12am
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

I have RI flowers that are 7 years old stored in plastic containers. They still look fine and are probably edible, though I wouldn't eat them.

To quote doug: ewwwwwwww! 7 years!?!?! thats disgusting. you may not eat them but you may have a customer who has a child who wants to eat them. you should really throw them away icon_smile.gif

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 5:29am
post #19 of 23

Some interesting facts on Royal Icing with Meringue Powder:

meringue powder, which is nothing more than dried egg white mixed with sugar, cornstarch and arabic gums to stabilize and bind it.

it's good to know that meringue powder is gluten free, safe from salmonella, and some brands are certified kosher. Meringue powder has a long shelf life (up to two years), as long as it's kept dry and not contaminated by dipping a wet or used spoon -- or icing-covered finger -- into it.

From Baking911 - Royal Icing can be made ahead. When storing it, make sure you keep it covered, airtight at room temperature, if made with meringue powder, or in the refrigerator, if made with raw egg whites. If already in a pastry bag, you can store as is as long as you put a damp paper towel around its tip, held in place with a rubber band. I like to put my bags in a larger airtight plastic bag, as well. If any of the Royal Icing has crusted during storage, it cannot be used. If too stiff after storing, rebeat with an electric mixer at low speed first. I've noticed that mixing thin icing for several minutes after storing tends to thicken it up, so add more liquid, a drop at a time, to thin it. If in a pastry bag, knead the bag until the Royal Icing is more pliable.

So at 7 yrs old they are fine - hopefully not dusty though!,...lol

wgoat5 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:42am
post #20 of 23

Thank you guys icon_smile.gif

Thanks Sass icon_biggrin.gif for that bit of information icon_biggrin.gif

KathysCC Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 9:41pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

I have RI flowers that are 7 years old stored in plastic containers. They still look fine and are probably edible, though I wouldn't eat them.

To quote doug: ewwwwwwww! 7 years!?!?! thats disgusting. you may not eat them but you may have a customer who has a child who wants to eat them. you should really throw them away icon_smile.gif

icon_lol.gif Doug. Sorry that I did not make myself clear. I wasn't planning on using the 7 year old flowers on anything. They are my first petunias that I hand made and painted and I saved the extras because they were so pretty. I would never put something that old on someone's cake. They are a keepsake. icon_biggrin.gif

mkorbal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkorbal Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:00pm
post #22 of 23

I'm sorry, I'm still a little confused though.

So does this mean that if I make a batch of royal icing w/ mer. powder that I can leave it in an airtight container on my counter for awhile. I usually only need it for "glue" for my bows so it takes me about a month to go thru an entire batch.

KathysCC Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 6:25am
post #23 of 23

I'd keep it in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last longer if refrigerated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%