What Makes The Best Beach Sand?

Decorating By itsmylife Updated 29 May 2007 , 7:25pm by Peg2665

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 29

I'm doing a beach scene retirement cake on Friday, and I just wanted to know what you all thought was the best thing to use for beach sand. So far, I've seen brown sugar, graham cracker crumbs, and crushed nilla wafers--I just don't know what looks/works best as I'm only looking at pictures and have never seen a cake with sand in person.

What do you think???
Denise

28 replies
sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 29

I have used a combination of brown and granulated sugars and I thought it looked really good!

Amber

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 29

I used crushed vanilla wafers for my beach wedding cake and I have used raw sugar and I like the way the wafers looked best just because they were lighter in color and more like sand to me!

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 29

I'm partial to the vanilla wafers, they look good, plus they taste good on the cake.

itsmylife Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 29

dodibug... did you use a food processor or did you just crush them by hand?

sweetamber.... did you use like a 50/50 mix?

Whatever ideas I get today, I'm gonna try tonite in small amounts.

Thanx for the help so far!!
Denise

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 29

Ground Pecan Sandies-hands down this is the BEST! Great taste, realistic look-this was a tip I got on this site. thumbs_up.gif

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by suttle

sweetamber.... did you use like a 50/50 mix?

I don't know icon_cry.gif ! I just put some sugar in a little bowl and added the brown sugar a little at a time until it was a color/texture I liked..I never measured (bad habit of mine icon_wink.gif )

Amber

dodibug Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 29

Food processor-I'm all about making things easy!

Pecan sandies is a good idea too!

I liked using the cookies better just because I didn't want to really add any extra sweetness with sugar.

I love beach cakes so can't wait to see yours! icon_smile.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 1:23am
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

I love beach cakes so can't wait to see yours!

Awww dodibug, thanks! I love you too! LOL icon_lol.gif Sorry, couldn't resist! icon_redface.gif

I've used crushed Nilla wafers or graham crackers. Brown sugar just seems too sweet to me.

dodibug Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 1:30am
post #10 of 29

icon_lol.gif You so funny!

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 1:36am
post #11 of 29

What they showed on the Surprise Birthday challenge on the Food Network, one guy took some left over cake crumbs and put them into the oven and slightly over cooked them. Can't remember what he did after that.

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 1:58am
post #12 of 29

I used crushed graham crackers. I had them on hand and brown sugar just seemed like a lot of sweet for whom ever got those pieces of cake. The nilla wafer sand in the galleries look better IMHO.
Just my 2.5 scents.

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 6:34am
post #13 of 29
Quote:

I'm doing a beach scene retirement cake on Friday, and I just wanted to know what you all thought was the best thing to use for beach sand. So far, I've seen brown sugar, graham cracker crumbs, and crushed nilla wafers--I just don't know what looks/works best as I'm only looking at pictures and have never seen a cake with sand in person.

What do you think???
Denise

If you take a look at this photo, I used brown sugar and it worked great! I loved how it turned out!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=CakesUnleashed&cat=0&pos=7

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 6:49am
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

Ground Pecan Sandies-hands down this is the BEST! Great taste, realistic look-this was a tip I got on this site. thumbs_up.gif

I absolutely agree, they are very realistic when ground because the pieces of pecans look like grains of darker sand or beach pebbles. Besides, what you don't use you get to eat! icon_biggrin.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 2:25pm
post #15 of 29

I am so glad you asked this question!!! I too am doing a beach them cake this month, it is a wedding cake and I was going to use graham cracker crumbs, however, I am going with the pecan sandies now, what a great idea, and I absolutely love the taste, one of my favorite cookies!!!! I just love this site!!!!!

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 2:34pm
post #16 of 29

I would go with the cookies, the brown sugar looks great but the icing is so sweet you can not eat it (IMO) I did the brown sugar and it was wayyy too sweet, I then used vanilla sandwich cookies processed really fine- much better tasting and looked great!
Tracy

itsmylife Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 5:05pm
post #17 of 29

thank you all for the ideas.... so far I really like the nilla wafer look.... but, I'm going to the store to buy pecan sandies now to try that out.

I was a little worried about the brown sugar being too sweet.

The worst part is that I can't buy just a few cookies... I have to buy a whole package.... oh darn..... what will I ever do with all those extra cookies???? icon_rolleyes.gif

Denise

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 5:15pm
post #18 of 29
Quote:

thank you all for the ideas.... so far I really like the nilla wafer look.... but, I'm going to the store to buy pecan sandies now to try that out.

I was a little worried about the brown sugar being too sweet.

The worst part is that I can't buy just a few cookies... I have to buy a whole package.... oh darn..... what will I ever do with all those extra cookies???? icon_rolleyes.gif

Denise

make banana pudding with them!! My neighbor used to do that. It's awesome!! icon_biggrin.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 6:45am
post #19 of 29
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 7:38am
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

I am so glad you asked this question!!! I too am doing a beach them cake this month, it is a wedding cake and I was going to use graham cracker crumbs, however, I am going with the pecan sandies now, what a great idea, and I absolutely love the taste, one of my favorite cookies!!!! I just love this site!!!!!

If you're doing a cake for a crowd, especially people you don't know (which may be the case with a wedding cake), if it will have nuts, you should make sure that the servers know the cake has nuts.

As a nut allergy sufferer, there is little worse than having a server assure me that something is nut-free, get my hopes up, and then see nuts on inspection. I have to waste the food, because I can't eat it, and I have gotten all eager to try some tasty baked goods. icon_cry.gif

Actually, there is one thing worse--not seeing the nuts, and taking a bite of one. Haven't had anything life-threatening, which is probably why I am even willing to try, based on the say-so of a server.

RedPanda

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 7:46am
post #21 of 29

I totally love pecan sandies. I never thought of them for sand. Great idea thumbs_up.gif And I am with redpanda make sure everyone knows about the nuts. I am not allergic to nuts but have aproblem with coconut. I was given a plate of goodies for Christamas. And guess what there was coconut in some of them. I tried not to eat the ones with it in them. But I took a piece of peanut brittle and my mouth got kind of funny feeling and my throat started to swell. And that was because they were on the same plate with the coconut icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif So make sure to tell them thumbs_up.gif But the sandies is a great idea though.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 1:10pm
post #22 of 29

I was out of cookies one day so I used cinnamon toast crunch cereal and put in the processor, it came out really good and besides it had a very light hint of cinnamon which always goes good with chocolate cake. It made great sand!

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 1:32pm
post #23 of 29

I love vanilla oreo cookies for sand. I did a little dessert cup in the gallery using crushed vanilla oreos, put some choc, sandals on top with a mini beach umbella. I like to use them because the cream between the oreos gives the sand a great taste and a really nice texture. give it a try

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 12:48am
post #24 of 29

I love the toasted cake crumbs it makes great sand AND you don't waste any leftover cake!!! AND its delicious!

mears202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mears202 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 12:55am
post #25 of 29

brown sugar looks like real sand, too!

jajpowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jajpowers Posted 29 May 2007 , 5:35pm
post #26 of 29

Can you use grahm crackers for sand?

midialjoje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midialjoje Posted 29 May 2007 , 6:04pm
post #27 of 29

I only had cinnamon graham crackers once. gives an excellent taste "surprise" to either white or chocolate cake.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 29 May 2007 , 7:05pm
post #28 of 29

I always use Turbino sugar. It's maybe not the most realistic, but it has a sparkle to it.
I have done a few cakes with it.

Peg2665 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peg2665 Posted 29 May 2007 , 7:25pm
post #29 of 29

I have used crushed animal crackers and nilla wafers. Both create a variation in color, looks realistic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%