Moment To Vent Before I Cry (Long)

Decorating By mom42ws Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 7:50pm by ladyonzlake

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 10

okay, i've had 3 cakes to make this weekend and have been in the kitchen about 10 hours a day since thursday. i know this is how it is when you are baking as a business. but this last cake, for my 4 yr. old, is breaking me down.

it's a princess castle and i tried a technique new to me (got from cambo? on cc) and it looks okay. i've never done a square cake or a tiered cake. well, overnight the top cake squashed my bottom layer somewhat so i'm thinking the dowels were not in the best positions.

the BC frosting looks okay at best and i'm using RI (for flowers), which i've never used before and having a tough time with it. i thought that you could make the flowers in advance on parchment and then move them to the cake later but all my flowers are breaking and i don't know if they've not sat long enough or what.

my daughter is going to love it no matter what and people will probably think that it looks good but i know better. now that i'm acting as a cake baking/decorating business i now feel like there is never room for error and people will be expecting excellent cakes all the time. i'm still learing with each cake but with each cake i'm reminded how far i have to go. i just don't want anyone to look at my cakes and think that i shouldn't be in business.

on top of the stress of the cake, the party for my daughter is here at our house for like 40+ people and i haven't had anytime to do house work and i'm sitting here wasting time on the computer. ahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 10

Ah Dear...take a deep breath and relax...Who cares if the house isn't spotless...the kids and adults are gonna get crumbs and such all over anyway!!! Vacuum later...I understand about the cake issues..It can be very disheartening when a project doesn't come out as good as you hoped!!! But remember..you have learned for next time what not to do....Your daughter will love the cake...

c420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c420 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 10

I think I can relate! Iknow what it's like to always feel like your work can be better, especially when you are a "professional". It puts an added stress on things. Just try and keep in mind everyone has their bad cake days even the best of the best icon_wink.gif . It is only you who notices the majority of the cake flaws anyway as you said. I'm sure it looks good and you will get many compliments! Just remember they'll never have any idea how much you fretted over it! It's usually better to just move on and try to not make the same mistakes. Well I hope your party goes well!

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 10

Just want to send you a big HUG!!

I think we have all been there. Don't worry about the house, clean up after and you can enjoy it being clean.

The most important thing is that your daughter will remember the special cakes her mom made and she will cherish those memories! Try to relax and enjoy her day with her. icon_smile.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 10

Aww! We all have days like this! Take a deep breath - it'll be fine! Your DD will love it and no one but you will notice! Each cake is an opportunity to learn from.

RI needs at least 24 hours to dry - it depends on how thick your pieces are. Once fully dry you can take them off the wax paper and move them. You can make them ahead and store them for months!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 10

Oh, sweetie, I was just where you are yesterday! Sending you a big (((((HUG))))) and good wishes! Everything will be ok. Pour yourself a short one and try to relax a little. Your DD will love the cake.

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 10

thanks guys. your words of encouragement totally made me tear up. icon_smile.gif i know i shouldn't let it get to me so much. i think it's the accumulation of the last few days of baking.

beachcakes, thanks for the RI advice. they had only been sitting about an hour or so. they seemed firm until i tried to move them. i will know better next time.

ashley

nicolesplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesplace Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 10

Someone once gave me some invaluable advice about cleaning before company comes over.

If you are a neat freak or have OCD, these won't apply to you - your house is already clean.

Hide your families shoes so that there is plenty of room for your guests shoes (we DO NOT wear shoes in the house)

Make sure the dishwasher (if you have one) is empty - ready to load after the party.

Clean the bathroom.

Tidy up about 2 hrs prior to everyone arriving. Messes will be made & your house will only truly be clean for the first 10 minutes.

Sweep, don't mop. You'll have to mop after - why do it twice?

Guests would rather arrive to find you preparing food in the kitchen than in the bathroom scrubbing the toilet. I don't start getting food ready until about 15 before people show up. I find that there are very few people that eat right when they arrive and do you want food sitting out for a long time? This also lets people feel useful - you know the "Can I do anything?" question you get asked a dozen times. SAY YES.

There is no rule stating that a home dishwasher can only be run once a day - why hand wash the stuff that won'[t fit in the first load?

Basically - save your energy for being the host/ess and for cleaning after everyone is gone. That is when I can enjoy the cleanliness.

As for the stress you are feeling about the cake - we are our own worst critics. I'm sure the cake is great & you could always fib. " I was so busy with other orders that I just "threw" this together". Only a fellow cake decorator knows how much we obsess over ever cake - especially ones for family/friends.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 7:41pm
post #9 of 10

Adding to the above post....

laundry baskets are your best friend. Take one thru the house and load it up with stuff that doesn't belong but you dont' have time to put it away right now. Hide the basket in the laundry room, in a closet, in your bedroom. Put it away later. (Which is the hard part .... my hubby's answer to this problem is "Honey!! We need to buy more baskets!")

And there is also no rule that says the dishwasher has to be full before it's run. One, the dishes get cleaner. Two, it feels better to put away just a few dishes and it gives you a completely empty dishwasher to hide more dirty dishes as they come along after the party.

Lots of dirty laundry, but it's at least 3 loads due to it being darks, whites and bright colors? Throw it all in the washer and close the lid. Sort and wash it later, after company leaves.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 10

(((BIG HUGGS))...take a deep breath and just make a clean sweep of the place...pick things up, check the bathrooms and freshen them up, don't worry about vacuuming. If it's picked up and freshened up no one will notice the little stuff...besides it'll be a mess when the party's over and then you can really do some thorough cleaning!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%