Italian Buttercream..cocoa Type Matter?

Decorating By c420 Updated 19 Apr 2008 , 2:37pm by FromScratch

c420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c420 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 4

I make italian buttercream but have only made it into chocolate a handful of times, does it make a difference which type of cocoa I use..I mean dark(dutched) or regular? It seems like when I tried with regular it didn't work out so well and I was wondering if it was the cocoa or some other fluke? When I've used the dark(preferred) it alwasy works out. Just curious because my store doesn't always have the dark.

3 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 4

I always use a ganache to flavor Italian Buttercream! It's much easier/ better than cocoa.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 4

I make SMBC (close cousin) and add ganache as well....amazing flavor.

I'm a chocolate snob and a chocolate junkie, and I just find it's a lot easier to get my hands on really good dark chocolate (Valrhona, Callebaut, etc) while really good cocoa is hit or miss.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 4

I use either ganache or melted chocolate. The cocoa powder will not dissolve into the frosting (at least not right away) and you won't get the desired effect. You can just melt down some dark chocolate (60% cacao would be good) and let it cool so it is cool to the touch yet still liquid and add it to the frosting while mixing with your mixer. Or you can make ganache and add some cooled ganache. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%