Protecting Dummy Cakes

Business By tonirepko Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 4:34am by CoutureCake

tonirepko Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 4

I have made dummy cakes in the past by covering them in fondant and then decorating with Royal icing. It works great but they don't stay looking nice for long (colors fade, dust build-up, etc). I need to make some dummy cakes for a display at a hotel. They are worried about the icing attracting bugs and becoming dusty. Does anyone know of a product that can be applied over the entire cake to "seal" it up and make it easier to dust off?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Sweet Angel Cakes

3 replies
ccr03 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 4

I don't know what it's called, something like permaice, but it's the icing used by most bakeries for their dummies. It's a permanent icing especially designed for dummies. I'll try and see if I can find the real name.

CelebrationsbyLori Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 4

PermaIce works good, but it's very permanant. I just ice mine in buttercream and it dries and holds up pretty good. I know what you mean on the dust, but the cans of air that you get to clean your keyboard work really well for getting dust off, especially fondant. Just hold it back a little so it doesn't break of your decorations.
HTH _Lori

CoutureCake Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:34am
post #4 of 4

There's this product called... "Lightweight Wall Spackle" that they sell at the local hardware store by the gallon bucket... PERFECT for making cake dummies!!!! You never have to worry about bugs, it looks like real icing once you've painted it (use a metalic cream for white, that way it phootographs nicely)...

Basically... you thin down the spackle with some water to spreadable consistency... Then it takes about two coats to get a good thick layer on the dummies... let it completely dry/set... use a drywall sander to smooth it out... use a putty knife to fill in any holes in the icing... dry again and smooth with sand paper... Do a layer of metalic paint (looks like luster dust when it's done)... Then using paint to tint, tint the spackle to whatever color you want to "pipe" onto it (let it set then go along with a brush to give it some shine and to set the color so it's easier to clean/won't absorb stuff). I also recommend purchasing a cheapie set of tips to use for this project that won't ever come in contact with food.

It works GREAT!!! You can dust them, wash them... And, most of all, you NEVER have to worry about bugs getting on your dummies ever again or those ANNOYING people who have to stick their finger into the cake to check and see if it's real icon_mad.gif ...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%