Sarah's Red Velvet Cake

Baking By sambugjoebear Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 2:36pm by Mommaskip

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 7

In Sarah's Red Velvet Cake (located in recipe section), is the red food coloring the liquid or the gel kind? I'm guessing since it's her great grandmother's recipe that it's the liquid, but I'm just making sure before I try to make it. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, its the bottles of liquid..
also want to try this cake out, maybe for my birthday coming
up shortly!!

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks! And happy early birthday icon_wink.gif

Mommaskip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommaskip Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 7

i tried it and it turns out great but i feel like its missing a little something. its very moist and stacks well but a day or two later becomes very dry. any help with this would be great. i made sure not to over cook or over mix it. here is a picture of when i made it with sarahs recipe.
LL

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the early birthday wishes!

Mommaskip,
Your cake looks stunning..........think I am really going to try it out
for my birthday and suprise all my friends as they have never seen
a cake like this yet.

Hold thumbs!

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommaskip

i tried it and it turns out great but i feel like its missing a little something. its very moist and stacks well but a day or two later becomes very dry. any help with this would be great. i made sure not to over cook or over mix it. here is a picture of when i made it with sarahs recipe.

I posted the recipe, and I'm trying to think of what could cause it to become dry, as I've never had that problem. Then again it's rare to have "leftovers" icon_razz.gif
Are you using cake flour? When you measure the flour how are you measuring it? Do you "drag" the measuring cup through the flour and then level it off, or do you spoon the flour into the measuring cup and then level it off?
Are you using a liquid or dry measuring cup to measure the buttermilk?

How are you storing the cake? I normally will take plastic wrap, and will place it against the cut edge (if I have leftovers).

Mommaskip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommaskip Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 7

i spooned the cake flour into a dry measuring cup then leveled it. i used a liquid measureing cup for the buttermilk. and i use the plastic wrap against the cut side of the cake and put it in the refrigerator because i used a homemade cream cheese icing. i have seen so many other red velvet recipes that use shortening or oil. what is the difference is the comparison of using butter? thanks so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%