Metallic Gold Piping

Decorating By ConnieSue Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 11:07pm by ConnieSue

ConnieSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieSue Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 6

Is the best way to make metallic gold piping to add gold luster dust to piping gel?

Thanks for any help!

5 replies
ConnieSue Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 6

I guess it is a dumb question . . . . . .

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 6

no, not a dumb question.

it's Saturday ... and the vast majority of the cakers are caking (baking, decorating, delivering) so responses can take time and be few and far between.

there is only one product I'm aware of -- which I have NOT tried --- that is a gel w/ gold color:

by wilton: http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=2A75C1FB-423B-522D-FAD4870D1F834828&fid=2A75C23A-423B-522D-F534DB27379E7E1B

but even that is only "yellow"

----
the tried and true method that gives the most intense effect:

pipe on white or yellow RI and the after it hardens paint over it w/ gold luster dust that has been mixed w/ lemon extract or some type of alcohol (vodka, everclear)

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 6

I don't think it is a dumb question. In my opinion I would think piping gel would be too thin to be able to pipe. I think what most people do is pipe with a crusting bc and then paint the gold luster dust onto the piping after it crusts. I have never done it, but if you have alot to do it could be quite tedious.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 6

It's hard to paint BC, your best bet is royal or fondant if you're going to paint it.

ConnieSue Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tips. This could take hours and hours to paint. Maybe I can encourage her in another direction icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%