How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Making Cupcakes?????

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 11 Dec 2020 , 12:18pm by -K8memphis

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:26pm
post #181 of 11579

no problem. icon_smile.gif i really love this recipe. i just might make it again tomorrow. all this talk about cupcakes is making me crave them! icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:42pm
post #182 of 11579

I was supposed to make cupcakes yesterday but the sump pump went out in the basement.

Back to reading these postings and once again, not getting cupcakes baked 'cuz I'm sitting here reading them all!!!

If I get moving, I'm going to make 100 dozen to try them all!!
Keep this post going, I'm lovin' it!! Thanks everyone for all these recipes and sites to visit and ideas to try!

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:00pm
post #183 of 11579

Thanks for the recipe from yummy mummy!! I've got to try it soon icon_smile.gif

wakeandbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakeandbake Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:34pm
post #184 of 11579

i thought i was the only one! i have had the same problem as alot of you out there. my cupcakes would start out domed and then as soon as i would take them out oven, they would fall right in the middle(even though i had my fingers crossed!) i too, have had the "frisbee tops", the flat tops, and the paper pull aways. so, after reading everone's awesome responses, i have decided to (1) raise my oven temperature, (2) decrease the amount of batter i am putting into the liners, (3) beat the batter just until small lumps remain and of course keep my fingers crossed! (its what i do best!)

teenycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teenycakes Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:58pm
post #185 of 11579

WakeandBake,

I tried a new vanilla cupcake recipe today, and it had a lovely crown on it and tasted moist too. Here's the recipe:

Vanilla Cupcakes (Womanâs Day Magazine 3/6/07):
Oven Temperature:  350 degrees
Cooking Time:     15 minutes
Yield:        24 cupcakes

Ingredients:
1 cup     (two sticks) unsalted butter
1-1/2 cups   sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon   salt
4 large    eggs
1 cup     milk
2 teaspoons    vanilla extract
2-2/3 cups   all purpose flour

1.  In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, baking powder, and salt on medium speed for 1 minute.
2.  Add eggs to mixture. Blend for 2 minutes on medium speed, until light and fluffy.
3.  On low speed, add milk and vanilla. Mix until blended (batter may look curdled, that's ok).
4.  Add the flour, and mix just until combined.

I've been researching vanilla recipes for quite a while, as I like the cupcakes that are domed, have a great taste, and do not stick to the pan. I hope you can read the recipe. Best of luck.

icon_lol.gif

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:01pm
post #186 of 11579

I bookmarked the vanilla garlic page. i want to try his vanilla cherry cupcakes! I even have some sugar in with a vanilla bean to make some vanilla sugar.

As for my peanut butter cupcakes, I found that the 25 minutes it to long, I'd start checking them at about 15 minutes. I pulled mine out at 20 minutes and i think that was still to long as min were a little to dry as well, but not as bad.

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:08pm
post #187 of 11579

For those of you not wanting to buy a large quantity of cupcake boxes, I was able to purchase the plastic (disposable) cupcake containers that the local grocery bakery uses for their dry, nasty cupcakes. They charged me $.50/each for the 12 count containers. Check your local grocery bakery.

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:21pm
post #188 of 11579

My question is this--I've seen lots of cupcakes decorated with a swirl of icing in the middle of the cupcake allowing the actual cake to be exposed around the edge--I love the look of this, but when I tried it, the cupcake got really dried out where it was exposed to the air.

Am I missing something? Does the cupcake need to be brushed with some kind of syrup first or something?

kendi25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendi25 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:39pm
post #189 of 11579

Does anyone have a tried and true - to die for white cake and red velvet cake recipe. I have tried about 5 recipes and they all lack the "burst" that I am yearning for.

Thanks

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:41pm
post #190 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanibird

I also followed the link on the Cake Fetish site to the MSN article on top Cupcake shops, and found this place in Ohio http://www.mainstreetcupcakes.com/menu.htm. The favor choices are dizzying! I cannot believe how many they have! Good inspiration for flavors!

Time to mix some batter! icon_razz.gif

I've been there, about 5 minutes from my house. Thank goodness I don't get that direction often! Cute little shop, standard size cupcakes. I was hoping they were jumbo, but no luck. Of course no one blinks an eye about spending that much on a cupcake, but try getting them to pay that for a serving of cake (with custom decorations, not just a swirl of icing) or a decorated cookie is still a little difficult.

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:42pm
post #191 of 11579

I find the same thing with just a swirl in the middle. I usually put a thin coat of my icing and then do my swirl because I don't really like the edges showing either. Thats just my idea! They are ok if you are going to be "eating or serving" right away.

Linda

Melody25 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:48pm
post #192 of 11579

OK I just found this site and ong they look SOOOO Good!!!!!!

http://www.dozencupcakes.com/html/flavors.html

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:00pm
post #193 of 11579

I wanted so badly to work on icing square cakes today. It's just not going to be possible! Ya'll have thoroughly ripped my agenda to shreds! Okay, so it wasn't set in stone, right? Right?

I want to do some in every flavor imaginable and pass them out. A cupcake party!!!! Hmmmmm...

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:08pm
post #194 of 11579

Oh, if you're thrwoing a cupcake party I am THERE!!! And the good news is, we don't need plates and forks!! (Pretty sure some napkins would be in order though!) icon_rolleyes.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:12pm
post #195 of 11579

Wouldn't that be cool though???

Tray after tray of decadent cupcake combinations...dayum! That would be better than walking into a Dunkin' Donuts!

sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:17pm
post #196 of 11579

I have a question i would like to try the cupcake bouquet,but can I use the bendable drinking straws icon_rolleyes.gif

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:33pm
post #197 of 11579

Sammie, when I done the bouquets I used the wooden skewers(sharp end into the cupcake) and then you can cut them to the length you need & they are really sturdy, then I used the floral foam in my container to secure them. HTH
Linda

Melvira Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:36pm
post #198 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammie192

I have a question i would like to try the cupcake bouquet,but can I use the bendable drinking straws icon_rolleyes.gif

I suppose if you can suck that hard! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif Sorry! I had to!

Anyway, I think that would be too difficult to get into the cupcake, and the bendy part would be unstable. That's just my guess... someone else may beg to differ.

I would stick with the pointy dowels!

sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:50pm
post #199 of 11579

melvira that is cute icon_smile.gif I want to fill them also but thought the skewers would work , can you fill them?

Melvira Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:54pm
post #200 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammie192

melvira that is cute icon_smile.gif I want to fill them also but thought the skewers would work , can you fill them?

Oh yah, you can fill them. That shouldn't be a problem. thumbs_up.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 6:00pm
post #201 of 11579

I guess I asked too many questions earlier. icon_redface.gif

Has anyone frozen cupcakes baked in the party nut cups? If so, how did they work out?

And, how do cupcakes do that are frozen in their paper wrapper? Do the wrappers lose any of their integrity or looks or...whatever?

And, I LOVE the idea of FBCT on cupcakes! I just might have to try that for my daughter's college graduation. I can see her school logo done on a few.

Unless of course I feel the need to try those flower cupcakes.

And I'm thinking they might need the ganache in the center. (What a great thing that sounds like!)

Melvira Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 6:05pm
post #202 of 11579

I have frozen them in paper wrappers with no problems, but have not tested the nut cups. For some reason right now I can't find my nut cups and I really want to use them. I can find the teeny-tiny ones, but not the standard cupcake size ones. I just put l'il man down for his nap, so I think I'll go tear up the cake supply room looking for them!

Rhienn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhienn Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 8:44pm
post #203 of 11579

I've frozen in nutcups and they were fine. No noticeable difference compared to cupcake papers. (Although - I've not had the issue with the cake pulling away from the papers either...)

I'm not a big fan of the nutcups. Even if you cut a notch in the side they're really hard for people to get off the cupcakes. They do look nifty though. They need to have those pull tabs like cellophane wrappers on CDs or something. icon_confused.gif

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:39pm
post #204 of 11579

Oh Melody25...that website is dangerous! Alll those flavors! Even one made out of stout!!! I made cupcakes yesterday for a tasting and that's the first thing I wanted when I came home from school was a cupcake!

Melody25 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:22pm
post #205 of 11579

I have a recipe from a friend that lives in Ireland for her Chocolate Stout cake. Its amazingly good. I should try and make them into cupcakes....

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:03pm
post #206 of 11579

I made some chocolate Guinness cupcakes for St. Patty's Day...my favorite scratch flavor that I have made so far!

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm
post #207 of 11579

Is anyone willing to share their Chocolate Stout recipe? It sounds amazing icon_eek.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:52pm
post #208 of 11579

This is the one I tried not too long ago to see what it tasted like. Then I made them into cupcakes for a friend's birthday.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/107105

I used half the recipe.

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:52pm
post #209 of 11579

Here's the link for the ones that I made. Even people who swore they didn't like Guinness, really liked these.

http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com/2006/03/just-in-time-for-st-pattys-dayguinness.html

Since the recipe is for cupcakes, they were also really easy to make - although I think I got less than the 30 the recipe said...I think I got 26 or 28

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:40am
post #210 of 11579

I haven't had a chance to make this yet, I just look at them and drool...

http://thebarmybaker.blogspot.com/2007/09/getting-high-with-hi-hat-cupcakes.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%