How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Making Cupcakes?????

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 17 Sep 2013 , 12:10pm by candyladies

jgifford Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 8:31pm
post #11551 of 11576

Really sorry if this has been discussed, but I just found this thread and I'm not going to read through 770 pages. I recently added cupcakes to my line-up and I'm trying to find out if anyone does dummy cupcakes for displays. Is there a recipe for making something that will last or does anyone sell cupcake-sized styrofoam? Has anyone even heard of this before?

I greatly appreciate all the input/advice anyone can give me. icon_smile.gif I really don't like being a beginner again.

Thanks.

Jan

Rosie2 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 9:24pm
post #11552 of 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I've never tried it with the meringue buttercreams so I can't answer that. The recipe is for "regular" (shortening/powdered sugar based) buttercream. It also works well with chocolate buttercream! YUM!! icon_lol.gif

Just add the peanut butter in at the end and mix until it's incorporated. You can stir it in too.

Thank you very much Bob, I did added peanut butter to the IMBC and it worked!!! it was delicious and my family loved it thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 1:11am
post #11553 of 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

Really sorry if this has been discussed, but I just found this thread and I'm not going to read through 770 pages. I recently added cupcakes to my line-up and I'm trying to find out if anyone does dummy cupcakes for displays. Is there a recipe for making something that will last or does anyone sell cupcake-sized styrofoam? Has anyone even heard of this before?

I greatly appreciate all the input/advice anyone can give me. icon_smile.gif I really don't like being a beginner again.

Thanks.

Jan

Many, many, MANY moons ago I contributed something about cupcake dummies on this thread. I believe it's found on page 27, here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-582525-390.html

bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 1:12am
post #11554 of 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:

I've never tried it with the meringue buttercreams so I can't answer that. The recipe is for "regular" (shortening/powdered sugar based) buttercream. It also works well with chocolate buttercream! YUM!! icon_lol.gif

Just add the peanut butter in at the end and mix until it's incorporated. You can stir it in too.

Thank you very much Bob, I did added peanut butter to the IMBC and it worked!!! it was delicious and my family loved it thumbs_up.gif

I'm glad it worked out -- I was wondering how it would be in the meringue frostings!! icon_biggrin.gif

jgifford Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 2:12pm
post #11555 of 11576
Quote:

Okay, let the gut spilling commence... First, you have cupcake liners, I like the foil ones better than the paper ones for this. You can put the paper one inside the foil liners when making these dummies if you like. Then, you buy some stuff called "DAP multi-purpose foam sealant" (available in the insulation section of Home Depot). Shake it up and spray it in about halfway to 2/3 of the way up the cupcake liner. This stuff expands like crazy, so you might want to do a sampler or two to see how much to spray. Let airdry naturally and decorate to your hearts content! icon_biggrin.gif

First of all, thank you so much! Second, I can't believe I didn't think of this. I've used this stuff to make table tops for my living room and it never occurred to me. icon_redface.gif Fantastic idea!

GrandmaG Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 2:22am
post #11556 of 11576

Anyone making any St. Paddy's cupcakes?

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 3:55pm
post #11557 of 11576

Hi Everyone! I have a question that I'm SURE was covered someplace in the past 772 pages icon_confused.gif but heck if I can find it! icon_rolleyes.gif

The question is: what causes cupcakes to "peel away" from the wrappers when they are baked? I've never had this happened, but I've had students ask me that question in the past, so I want to be sure I can answer them.

Anyone know?? (Thanks in advance!!) icon_biggrin.gif

jgifford Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 9:10pm
post #11558 of 11576

FYI - - and after I made such a fuss - and such a mess making dummies . . . .

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/styrofoam-cupcakes-with-liners-24-pkg-/p/CD3253/

icon_redface.gif

Mme_K Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 1:45am
post #11559 of 11576
Quote:

Hi Everyone! I have a question that I'm SURE was covered someplace in the past 772 pages icon_confused.gif but heck if I can find it! icon_rolleyes.gif

The question is: what causes cupcakes to "peel away" from the wrappers when they are baked? I've never had this happened, but I've had students ask me that question in the past, so I want to be sure I can answer them.

Anyone know?? (Thanks in advance!!) icon_biggrin.gif

One thing I've found is that although my cupcakes seem to be done, if I leave them in another minute or so, they are likely not to pull away from the wrappers. Learned that one the hard way. Even though a toothpick was coming out clean when testing the cupcakes, they were not quite done enough. The extra minute seems to do the trick.

sfandm Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 1:31pm
post #11560 of 11576

Have been reading this topic, only on page 11, and lots of great ideas. Thanks to everyone for sharing all your awesome suggestions and recipes. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

VintageEel Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 4:04pm
post #11561 of 11576

This might sound ridiculous - but I've been trying for about 2 weeks now to successfully tie a ribbon around a cupcake case and have it stay there - I can seem to tie it right but not keep it there. And when I do its looking pretty rough from all the messing about.

Any tips?

I've tried a glue gun, but it just shows through and doesn't look smooth/neat at all.

tealottalou Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 4:01pm
post #11562 of 11576

I am wondering how much frosting to figure per regular cupcake. I am using a 1M tip and making a rose on top of the cupcakes. 160 cupcakes for a wedding next weekend and I need an idea of how much frosting to make...any ideas?

ConniM1 Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 2:36pm
post #11563 of 11576

The amount of filling depends on you...as well as it being close to the top, is where you put it. You have to insert the Tip down below the middle, start sqeezing and the more you squeeze in the same spot is how you get its thickness and as you squeeze you are pulling up. Stop squeezing when you pull the tip out of the Cupcake. I like a good amount of filling in the cupcakes but Hubby likes barely there or none at all.

Izzy Sweet Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 6:02pm
post #11564 of 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageEel 

This might sound ridiculous - but I've been trying for about 2 weeks now to successfully tie a ribbon around a cupcake case and have it stay there - I can seem to tie it right but not keep it there. And when I do its looking pretty rough from all the messing about.

Any tips?

I've tried a glue gun, but it just shows through and doesn't look smooth/neat at all.

This might be too late but have you tried using a small dab of royal icing in a complimenting colour.

judithbotts Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 7:19pm
post #11565 of 11576

A

Original message sent by amysue99

I'd love to know about filling cupcakes. I got one of the long bismarck tips, but it didn't seem to help much. I only had a tiny bit of filling in the top part of the cupcake. Very disappointing.

Use the small end of a melon baller and remove a ball of the cake. I recently used the same tip u did and likewise was disappointed.

BCWishes Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 1:50am
post #11566 of 11576

A

Original message sent by VintageEel

Any tips?

Have you tried glue dots? They are in the scrap booking aisle, but they are clear little dots of glue thA will stick to pretty much anything!

Jummie Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 10:40pm
post #11567 of 11576

AHi would really luv a good cupcAke recipe. No success with from the scratch baking.

monkeegurl Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 5:08pm
post #11568 of 11576

Anyone else having trouble accessing the google doc with all of the recipes?

babydually Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 5:51pm
post #11569 of 11576

Can you tell me how you get cupcakes round on top and uniform in shape. 

ConniM1 Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 4:43pm
post #11570 of 11576

Babydually.,

I just fill the cup 3/4 of the way full and make sure you use the same amount in each cup to get them uniform.

CakeMann Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 1:23am
post #11571 of 11576

Greetings, I have had the opportunity to travel about to several bakeries. I think the best decorated cupcakes I have seen and eaten came from Oakmont Bakery in Oakmont PA near Pittsburgh. They are called "Attitude Cupcakes" . They are decorated like well known characters with an attitude. They sell for $2.50. They have a picture on their web site. Also if these are too complex or time consuming Dessert Flair has a "cupcake flair" web page that provides some ideas using chocolate. Good Luck.

motherofgrace Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 6:05pm
post #11572 of 11576

hey all! I cant wait to read through the whole thread!

A question about convections ovens. I have one where the fan is on the side and does not turn off. I cannot for the life of me figure out the right temp to get that nice dome!!

Any help would be great!

sgalvan62 Posted 12 May 2013 , 4:12am
post #11573 of 11576

AIs there a good turtle recipe for cupcakes?

Alandrascakes Posted 17 May 2013 , 6:18pm
post #11574 of 11576

AMe personally do not like cupcakes! I always have thought a very good cake makes a better statement. "Oh you made cupcakes". I feel a cake is more personal, you took the time to make a beautiful cake for someone.

hungarygreek Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 6:45pm
post #11575 of 11576

AHi all, I'm in the UK and need a no fail chocolate and a separate vanilla cupcake recipe that domes... Mine ALWAYS come out flat, taste delicious and are light and fluffy but flat!!! Help please ladies. Thank you in advance

candyladies Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 12:10pm
post #11576 of 11576

Ayou have to position the bismark tip in say three different places and squeeze filling until ou can see it come to the top. Push tip almost to bottom when starting out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%