Before I Apply The Fondant.....

Baking By luvmykidz Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 5:17pm by maryj

luvmykidz Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:49am
post #1 of 9

I'm making my first cake with fondant.....isn't there like a base coat of frosting or something i have to apply first?
any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks
Soly

8 replies
misha35 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:59am
post #2 of 9

Yes. If you put a base coat of frosting on the cake, it helps 'hold' the fondant on. you'll want to make sure it is smooth because any non smooth areas will show thru the fondant.

luvmykidz Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 9

thank you so much. i'm making a cake for my daughters birthday and i'm so freaked. i'm going to practice with a little one first and work with the fondant. i'm going to the craft store today and see what i need to make it like pans and such......thanks for your advice.
soly

buzymom1975 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 9

I made my first fondant covered cake a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out. I didn't practice first, but looking back, maybe I should have. I used a chocolate BC icing for under the fondant. Niece (who I made the cake for) absolutely loved it I later learned. Made two cakes and they took the fondant covered one home.

KathyAM Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 9

Good luck with your cake! My first fondant cake was for my daughter. If you haven't already, I highly recommend checking the marshmallow fondant recipes/tutorials on this website (if you search "mmf", you will get a lot of info on this). It is easy and cheap to make. Another tip that I got from here that was great for fondant is using the clear vinyl from a fabric store to roll your fondant out on. It makes it easy to transfer to your cake that way. Also make sure that you do not stretch the fondant at all when you are smoothing it or else you will end up with pleats.

luvmykidz Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 9

I Love the vinyl idea!!!!!
I'm going to make a practice cake with some "practice" fondant I got....

luvmykidz Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:26am
post #8 of 9

should I cover my cakes with marzipan before the fondant? i saw that yesterday and thought it was an interesting idea. what do you all think? is it worth it to get that smooth look?
thanks icon_biggrin.gif

maryj Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 9

use spackled paste for underneath fondant. First crumb coat cake with buttercream, let dry or set.
Spackled paste.
3-4 cups cake crumbs. either use leveling left overs or bake seperate cake.
1/2 to 3/4 decorator's buttercream
1/4 cup filling( citrus curd or preserve)
Mix the ingredients togethar to form a thick paste. If the spackled paste is too stiff to ice with, add more buttercream to soften or put 1/2 cup BC next to spackled paste on an icing board. Use the buttercream to adjust the thickness of the spackled paste, or use water to help smooth the spackled paste onto the cake.
use spackled paste within 3 days
Yeild 2 1/2 cups

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%