Cookie Cake Question...please Help

Decorating By Pearl70 Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 5:15pm by Pearl70

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:15am
post #1 of 19

I have never made a cookie cake before,can you tell me what recipe is the best to use? Any advise is greatly appreciated. My son's teacher was chosen for Teacher of the Year today and I want to do one for her and the class.

18 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 4:20am
post #2 of 19

I just use my normal cookie recipe and bake it either on a flat stone or inside one of my cake pans (make sure to line the cake pan w/parchment to make for easy and gaurenteed removal)

I then set the timer for 10 mins and then checked it every 2-3 mins until it was done.

Just make sure you keep notes on how long it actually took to use for reference next time.

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 4:25am
post #3 of 19

same here, if I dont feel like buying all the ingredients, I just get the mix and add the butter and egg. works just as great. Good Luck

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 4:31am
post #4 of 19

I usually do a chocolate chip cookie cake. Line the pan with foil and spray it with nonstick spray for easy removal. I use the toll house recipe. It bakes about 25 minutes...but if you use a bigger or smaller pan than I do, that could be a lot different, so just keep an eye on it when you bake it.

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 19

How big can you make a cookie cake? I've always wanted to try it but wasn't quite sure how big I could get it.

allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:28am
post #6 of 19

I also use a mix that just takes butter & egg and it's really easy. I have a 12" round cookie pan (about 1/2" deep) and it works great! Just be sure that you line w/parchment or wax paper or it may not come out in one piece. Trust me on that one, lol!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:14am
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetneice

How big can you make a cookie cake? I've always wanted to try it but wasn't quite sure how big I could get it.

I think the one I usually do is 12" across. I've done one in a big old deep dish pizza pan too, that came out huge.

The trick to doing a big one is to make sure it's totally cool and firm before you use the foil to lift it out. If you take it out too soon, it will crack.

Pearl70 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 19

thanks everyone,
have u ever done this with a brownie mix?

allee Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:47am
post #9 of 19

I have made several brownies this way. They are just as easy as the cookies. I do bake mine 3-4 mins longer to make sure that they are done in the middle. Also, I let mine cool in the pan until completley cool. The 1st one I didn't and when I flipped it out (upside down) then back over, the top was splotchy looking. I will see if I can find a pic and post it to show you what I mean. But it will work w/a brownie mix. HTH

Pearl70 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:52am
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by allee

I have made several brownies this way. They are just as easy as the cookies. I do bake mine 3-4 mins longer to make sure that they are done in the middle. Also, I let mine cool in the pan until completley cool. The 1st one I didn't and when I flipped it out (upside down) then back over, the top was splotchy looking. I will see if I can find a pic and post it to show you what I mean. But it will work w/a brownie mix. HTH

oh thank you I would love to see a pic..thanks for the help

allee Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:55am
post #11 of 19

ok, here is the photo. See how it looks splotchy right under where it says Megan? It wasn't cool enough when I flipped it out of the pan and that part stuck to the board. And the board was covered in parchment paper. Next one I did, I let cool completely and it worked much better.
LL

allee Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:00am
post #12 of 19

Here is another pic. This one is a sugar cookie
LL

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:28am
post #13 of 19

I L-O-V-E making cookie cakes!! I just use the Nestle Tollhouse recipe for choc. chip... a classic! I use either a 12" or 16" pizza pan (the kind with holes in the bottom) and a sheet of parchment under it. If I use the 12" I don't have to use the whole batch of dough. (YAY!!) Make sure you don't spread the dough all the way to the sides of the pan, it needs room to expand. And try not to spread it too thick, it will be harder to bake and you'll have overdone edges! After I bake, sometimes I like to trim off the edges. Hubby eats those so he's happy, and then the cookie cake looks more polished so I'm happy!

Here's what mine look like before and after decorating! (The decorated one is a pic of my son shucking corn that the neighbors gave us! I thought that was a fun way to say thanks! They agreed!) Oh, and yes, I frost the whole top of the cookie because the only thing better than a choc. chip cookie is a choc. chip cookie smothered in buttercream!! Mmmmm!
LL
LL

allee Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:53am
post #14 of 19

Melvira, that is awesome!! I love the one w/icing on it! I don't usually frost the entire top. Most of the ones that I have done were for kids @ my son's high school. I made over 20 for Valentine's day (from the girls to the guys) and delivered them to the high school! It was loads of fun. Most of the girls had no idea what to get their guy for V day, and this worked out perfectly!

Melvira Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:59pm
post #15 of 19

allee that is an awesome idea!! What guy doesn't want a big cookie! Plus the girls can bat their eyes for a little bite! hehehe.

I really like the taste of frosting the whole cookie (I always ordered them like that from the cookie store at the mall long before I got into this) but I also like the look of the cookie showing through so that you KNOW what it is! I also love the idea of doing it with the brownies!! Very cool!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:23pm
post #16 of 19

I love love cookie cakes! And if you make them(choc chip) maybe 8in and layer them with creamcheese icing and let it oooze out between the layers !! OMG!!! Its sooo yummmy !! And Mel your son looks just like you !!! Adorable !

Melvira Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:29pm
post #17 of 19

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks, but he's really the spitting image of his father!!

Your cream cheese icing idea sounds so decadent!! Don't get me started on that!!!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:32pm
post #18 of 19

thumbs_up.gif Sounds like you have some cookie cake ideas ? I think your son looks just like your member spot light pic ! icon_wink.gif

Pearl70 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:15pm
post #19 of 19

oh my gosh, this sounds so good...i may try me one....there goes my diet..lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%