Am I Pricing Myself Out Of Business????

Decorating By turnerdmann Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 8:37pm by c420

turnerdmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turnerdmann Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:29am
post #1 of 17

A new customer contacted me about a cake. She had seen and eaten one I had recently done and was very complimentary. She left me a cake order at store that sells my cakes, never inquiring about price. I sent her price list so she would have the price of everything. Tonight she called and canceled order cake was too expensive. She wanted stacked 12x4, 8x4. WASC with home made lemon curd filling and Buttercream icing. She wanted a brown fondant ribbon around each layer with small bow on front. She wanted blue circles (polka dots) fondant of different sizes. The cake would be topped with "M&M" in blue fondant. She would also used my silver plateau. I quoted her $135 for cake (including separator plates and doweling). $20 for fondant work and $10.00 for delivery and set up (probably 20 mile round trip). Grand total of $165 plus tax. Is this out of line? Be honest do I need to adjust prices. The cake she saw and liked was the same price.

Thanks!!

16 replies
AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:38am
post #2 of 17

Don't know what the going rate is by you, but that's only $2.30/serving. I think that's cheap for what she wanted.

For me, up in Cleveland, that cake would have been around $300.00.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:48am
post #3 of 17

For a lot of people - if it's not the 8.99 cake they can buy at the grocery store - it's just too expensive.

You can't drive a Mercedes if all you want to pay for is a Hyundai.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:04am
post #4 of 17

I would have charged her around $300 once the delivery and sales tax were added in.

turnerdmann Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:07am
post #5 of 17

Thanks for your input. I think she had me second guessing myself.

Thanks again for the input.

Darlene

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:23am
post #6 of 17

I agree with the $300 range ... my eyes kept getting bigger and bigger as I read all of the detail she was wanting.

The Walmart mentality is the hardest obstacle we face.

Did she say what her target price was? I'd be interested to see what she expected to pay for cake that served about 80 people! icon_rolleyes.gif

(And I'd LUV to see the cake she ended up with! icon_lol.gif )

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 5:15am
post #7 of 17

I would have charged her $662 for that cake, plus a big FAT deposit on that stand.

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 6:07am
post #8 of 17

I agree with the others, your pricing is more than fair. Stick to your guns, if you go any lower in price, you'll start to resent and dread doing them. Specialty cakes are just that... special. If people don't want to pay for it, then the occasion can't be all that special --- and they can order elsewhere.

Leave it to Wal-Mart!
Keep in mind this actually really did happen!!!! This is someone who was moving from a claims office.
Okay so this is how the conversation went:
Walmart Employee: âHello âdis Walmarts, how can I help you?â
Customer: â I would like to order a cake for a going away party this week.â
Walmart Employee: âWhat you want on the cake?â
Customer: âBest Wishes Suzanneâ and underneath that âWe will miss youâ.
Walmart Employee: âDat all? Okay, Bye.â
LL

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 6:48am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoratingDingbat

I agree with the others, your pricing is more than fair. Stick to your guns, if you go any lower in price, you'll start to resent and dread doing them. Specialty cakes are just that... special. If people don't want to pay for it, then the occasion can't be all that special --- and they can order elsewhere.

Leave it to Wal-Mart!
Keep in mind this actually really did happen!!!! This is someone who was moving from a claims office.

Ok...I totally needed that laugh...made me giggle icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 8:22am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoratingDingbat

Leave it to Wal-Mart!

That is hilarious, I have tears rolling down my face, I amlaughing so hard! Thanks!

turnerdmann Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:45am
post #11 of 17

Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif for the encouragement and laugh. Todays a new day and I'm moving on.

This site is great because you all know what I'm talking about and what it takes. And dingbat you are right. I enjoy this so much I don't want to feel resentful about the cakes and pay.

You all have a great day

Darlene

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 5:33am
post #12 of 17

I would rather make one cake for $200 than ten cakes for $20.

DecoratingDingbat Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 6:02am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

I would rather make one cake for $200 than ten cakes for $20.

Just want to say welcome to CC! I hope you have a great time and enjoy yourself! thumbs_up.gif
Remember, we're like family here ... so we sometimes bicker, maybe even throw a cake ball or cupcake, but we always agree to disagree and forgive eachother just as quickly! Nice to have you join in the fun! icon_biggrin.gif

I absolutely agree with your statement .... can you even get a cake (that's edible) for $20 today? icon_confused.gif It's more like a six pack of cupcakes for $20. The Walmarts in my city don't offer baked goods ... yet .... thank goodness really .... icon_wink.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 6:03am
post #14 of 17

okay...........I can't even believe that is a real cake!! Oh man..............that makes my side hurt it's so funny!!

DecoratingDingbat Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 6:10am
post #15 of 17

I wonder if they paid more than $20 for that? .... I don't even like the writing, it's not centered and it seems crooked .... LOL! icon_lol.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 6:13am
post #16 of 17

WASC is delicious! (It's my best seller.) So, since she knows how wonderful your cakes tastes she will be disappointed with whatever she gets elsewhere. Don't second guess your pricing. You know what it costs and how much work goes into it. Maybe she just didn't have the budget for a special cake. I quoted a customer $125 for a cake and she told me that she didn't want to put that much into the cake and opted for a $75 cake. She was too embarrassed when she had to serve tiny pieces of cake and barely had enough for all the guests.

c420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c420 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:37pm
post #17 of 17

you have to stick to your prices because some people
1. Don't know how much a non-grocery store cake costs and 2. Some people will try to get "a better deal" no matter what.
That price seems VERY reasonable and I think that she'll get what she pays for icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%