Can I Just Bring A Salad?????

Decorating By __Martha__ Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 5:05am by sassycleo

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 24

I just started making cakes a few months ago, but already I am starting to notice that for any family or friend get-together, it's "Can you bring a cake?".

I just finished such a cake and the ingredients and supplies alone cost me $50, not to mention my time (over 5 hours to bake, decorate and clean up). Taking a salad would be so much easier!

Salad in a bag - $5.00
Tomato - $1.50
Salad dressing - $3.50
5 free hours to myself - priceless! thumbs_up.gif

23 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:02am
post #2 of 24

yes.

no.

can't I just bring a salad....YES

can you bring a cake....NO!!!!!! (in flashing neon lights if need be)

----

until you stand up for yourself and say NO!!!

then -- you'll be bringing cake and not salad.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:04am
post #3 of 24

You must bake from scratch. I cannot believe the ingredients cost you so much.
But yes, I know what you mean....get used to it. Maybe down size your offering.

__Martha__ Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:12am
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

You must bake from scratch. I cannot believe the ingredients cost you so much.
But yes, I know what you mean....get used to it. Maybe down size your offering.

Everything is much more expensive in Canada - trust me. Satin Ice is about $11.00, the boards, the ribbon for around the board, the gumpaste ... it all adds up pretty quickly. I don't bake from scratch, I made the WASC - $2.00 each for the mixes, $2.50 for the sour cream ...

I actually used a pricing matrix with Canadian prices pre-loaded, so it's just a rough estimate.

Yes, Doug, I need to learn to say NO! icon_wink.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:14am
post #5 of 24

It's expensive...

Hummingbird cake..
flour
sugar
PECANS (these must be made of gold)
pineapple
banana's (getting to gold prices)
eggs
cinnamon

etc. etc.

If I don't have these I have to buy all of them (and believe me I go through about 2 jars of cinnamon a month on my kids eating cinnamon toast like its going out of style)

yep... expensive..

do ya hafta? Nope...

Say no say no SAY NO icon_biggrin.gif

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:24am
post #6 of 24

I'm the designated dessert bringer for the most part as well.

But they also know by now that they're not getting a cake that's been labored over for hours every time - they'll get what I am in the mood to bake or experiment with at the time.

If I'm short on time, I may just throw together a pound cake baked in a NordicWare bundt pan (I have several of the fancy ones) with a simple glaze drizzled on it, or bake a pan of brownies and bring ice cream and chocolate ganache.

__Martha__ Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:25am
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

If I'm short on time, I'll also just throw together a pound cake baked in a NordicWare bundt pan (I have several of the fancy ones) with a simple glaze drizzled on it.

Good plan - I need to scale it down a bit. icon_smile.gif

HerBoudoir Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:29am
post #8 of 24

And you know what? Scaling it down is just fine too - the humble but homemade pound cake is still 10 times better than grocery store cake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:37am
post #9 of 24

Question? Are you the only one bringing something? If so, then I would adopt my rule... If you ask, you pay. If I offer, it's free.

If it really is a group affair where everyone is bringing something, then I would definatly scale back your cakes, and spend about what everyone else would. You don't have to make beautiful hand crafted gumpaste creations for every "Can you bring cake".

Of course you can always make something nice here and there (only if they really appreciate it), but there is also nothing wrong with doing cupcakes or a more simple style of cake.

And there is nothing wrong with saying, "I'd love to make a cake, but you know I already have ingredients for such and such on hand, how about I make that?"

HerBoudoir Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:42am
post #10 of 24

LOL I'm just not that diplomatic....I'll flat out tell folks that I'm really busy, and I can only do something simple.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:50am
post #11 of 24

lol..wouldnt it be funny to arrive with a walmart cake!
Edna

Sandra80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandra80 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:54am
post #12 of 24

i make things for my family member for free mainly because i like make cakes as much as i can so i can 1. practice 2. take pics for my portfolio the only condition i have is that they can't tell me the design.it's a gift from me, you take what i give. i don't want to do a simple boring cake because it's nothing to add to my portfolio.my SIL just asked me to make 2 cakes for her kids shared parties and she say just make two rounds and i'll stick toys on them, ummm no! if she wants that go to the grocery store.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:58am
post #13 of 24

I'm the cake-maker in my family. My ingredients aren't expensive, and everyone accepts a cake instead of a purchased birthday gift (except my kids, of course). So I actually save money, and I get to do fun things at the same time.

I don't offer to bring cake to events usually icon_biggrin.gif and people know better than to ask me, because if I didn't volunteer, that means I can't do it.

HerBoudoir Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:04am
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra80

i don't want to do a simple boring cake because it's nothing to add to my portfolio.

That may be where we differ icon_smile.gif. I am first and foremost a scratch baker - the decorating is just something that I play with from time to time. I wouldn't want to eat decorated layer cake all that often - I'd rather have a simple slice of my almond cake or pound cake or a really good cookie or two when I need a sweet fix.

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:17am
post #15 of 24

for me.. family gettin together and need cake... I usually go with a simple bundt cake or pound cake... They know it's not gunna be a lavish cake for "just because". Mean mommy (my cake decorating alter ego) isn't worth "just because".
LOL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:18am
post #16 of 24

Gosh, I have the opposite "problem" (but I am really complimented by it, so this isn't a complaint!).

At hubby's family Christmas, my traditional dishes that I bring are my (made from scratch) beef-n-noodles and my green-beans-with-bacon-n-onion. I just luv the attn these dishes get and especially enjoy the "oh good I'm SO glad you brought those ... I've been looking forward to it all week!" comments!

I luv my in-laws! icon_biggrin.gif

But I will also agree with the above posts ... just because you are asked to bring a cake ... doesn't mean you have to bring "A CAKE!!!" thumbs_up.gif

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:22am
post #17 of 24

make cupcakes. I love putting my extra batter in the large cupcake pans, I cover and freeze and when I have enough I bake.

Mystery cupcakes, gotta love them. tee hee.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:38am
post #18 of 24

If you don't want to take cake, tell them no. Just practice a few times. You'll do it naturally & without thought. Just ask my kids. thumbs_up.gif
If you don't... everyone will expect it.

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:44am
post #19 of 24

I am laughing reading this only because that is exactly what I said to myself just over a year ago. My daughter was graduating from preschool...they usually bought the cake for the graduation, but instead of just writing something in on the sign up sheet, I offered to do the cake...(little did I know that they were feeding 200 people) They allowed everyone and their brothers, sisters, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins come to the preschool graduation....Four teirs and 12 hours later...I said, "next time I will just write in for a pasta salad" And oh...dessert is always my turf for family functions though....that is a given...
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=826083

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:10am
post #20 of 24

I have to say...I can get annoyed too sometimes. I didn't respond to the last family sign up e-mail quickly to see if others would do their share of the extra dishes that are brought. The bachelor wrote, Jennifer always brings dessert so I'll bring the buns ($2, 10 min in the store) so she can bring dessert again. They love my homemade ice cream cake with from scratch ice cream. The eggs alone are almost $2.

IT'S TIME TO EDUCATE!

JUST SAY NO! LOL!

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:11am
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

It's expensive...

Hummingbird cake..
flour
sugar
PECANS (these must be made of gold)
pineapple
banana's (getting to gold prices)
eggs
cinnamon

etc. etc.

If I don't have these I have to buy all of them (and believe me I go through about 2 jars of cinnamon a month on my kids eating cinnamon toast like its going out of style)

yep... expensive..

do ya hafta? Nope...

Say no say no SAY NO icon_biggrin.gif

its interesting that you metion that... I have hummingbird cake in the oven right now! Ingredients for a 4, 6, 8 (4" layers) was about $30! Thats including cream cheese for the icing and a fresh pineapple for dried pineapple 'flowers'.

Yes I bake from scratch... yes I'm in Canada. Everything here is more expensive. This is something fancier than I would usually make for a friends get together, but its a birthday and I wanted to try a new recipe AND try the pineapple flowers AND use my new wilton decorating triangle.

Usually they get cupcakes or a simple iced cake, ingredients ~ $12 and a minimal amount of time. But then again I'm kind of a food snob I would prefer to spend a little more and make something I know I will enjoy than something from a box or grocery store. And when most of them work for Fairmont (a fancy hotel chain) I know that if I'm ever open to business they will sing my praises.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:29am
post #22 of 24

NOT a cheapy cake to make icon_sad.gif

And when I could eat cake that was my fav YUM

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:35am
post #23 of 24

How about going to the grocery store and picking up a cake that is already baked. If they have a problem with it so what. Tell them this is your contribution and if they want a nicer/better tasting cake pay you for it. BC/DH OR PB from the box with any doctoring is just fine. I am always the cake girl. This gets old fast especially when the others contribute far less than most with money and time spent cooking. If you bring enough

Quote:
Quote:

just a cake

to the celebrations they will stop expecting you to be the main supplier.

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 5:05am
post #24 of 24

I had the same problem at work, except it was for the birthdays. I did one, it's kinda what got me on the whole kick of wanting to do this full time and make a business out of it. I love to do it, even with late hours or sleepless nights and frustration I love it. Love to stand back when I'm done and look at what I've accomplished.

So anyways not a big office but 15 or so cakes over a couple of months. No one pitched in a couple bucks, nope. So ok I was getting tired of doing them for free for the co workers anyways, but what finalized it for me is when they starting becoming demanding. I make a carrot cake that is to die for, everyone loves it. So they started saying, next time you bring a cake in make it a carrot. Uh hello, I'm doing this for free and you'll get what I bring in.

So ok fast forward a little bit, made it through the year, did everyone's bday cake so no one felt left out or had hurt feelings. No I REFUSE to bring in a cake. After some of my tastings I have uniced cake left. So I cut it up put it on a tray and brought it in for them. Someone actually had the nerve to tell me that next time I bring cake in to make sure I bring some icing in as well!! Ok so that was the FINAL straw. Talk about being p.o'ed. Recently someone asked me when I was bringing in cake again, that they noticed it had been awhile since we had cake. I politely, and in a jokingly spirit said "I don't do FREE cakes, ya pay me and you've got cake"

Haven't had a request since....LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%