Is This Frosting White?

Baking By cakemommy Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 3:43pm by cakemommy

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 7

I have been asked to have a light less sugary frosting on a upcoming order.
They have requested a whipped frosting. Does this recipe make a white icing?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3273-8-Whipped-Frosting-made-with-corn-starch.html

Thank you!

Amy

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 7

I have not made it but I'd say yes it will be white - just not a pure stark white.
Did you know there are something like 5,000 shades of white paint??
My b'c used 1/2 & 1/2 butter/shortening and the only time I had anyone complain that had linnens that were *blue* white on the table so my cake looked yellowish icon_sad.gif

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 7

Looks like it would be white to me. If you're wanting to keep it as white as possible then use clear vanilla. I've found the more you whip butter the whiter it gets.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 7

I have read on here that if you use the slightest touch of violet in a butter based icing that it will make it very white.

jenbashore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbashore Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 7

Wilton makes a white-white icing color. I have used this and found it works pretty well. If you find that your icing isn't white enough, you can add some of it.

cakemommy Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:16am
post #6 of 7

Thank you all for your responses!!

I thought about using the clear vanilla. I have heard of the violet and I have some of Wilton's icing lightener and I have some of Americolor's as well.

I have noticed the more I whip butter the whiter it becomes. I thought it was just me!

Thank you all for reminding me of all these tips!!!!!!! I'm going to do a trial run because the frosting has to be light and not heavy. If I had the ability to get Pastry Pride or Rich's then I would so I have to go this route.

Amy

cakemommy Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 7

Here's another question!!! I just reread the recipe and it says it does not crust!

Okay, this is a really elementary question but how smooth does this frosting look once it is applied to the cake? It will be weird not being able to do the Viva method which I always use. I need my cakes to be absolutely smooth with a lighter texture frosting. I also have to put an edible image on my cakes so I want to make sure I can use this. Does it pipe well?

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%